Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

Grado SR80

the SR80 sounded a little harsh at first, when i first got it from Rameish though the powerbuy. after the first 2-3hrs of play time on a portable tuner, they start to open up, with more details and bass.

user posted image

after about 8 hrs or so, i think they are ready for the road biggrin.gif seen here with my Sony PCDP & max-out buffered Cmoy

user posted image

seen here with my previous portable headphones, Koss Porta-pro. i find the SR80 more comfortable then the porta-pro , especially the headband, although the SR80 gets more warm around my ears then the Koss, its still easier to wear.

sound wise, i would say the SR80 has everything i wanted in a portable headphones, although most people might find it a little too big as a portable.

its more detailed then the porta, the bass is a little lighter but more define then the boomy/hard-hitting "massive" bass of the porta-pro. i also find the isolation of the SR80 to be slighty better then the porta-pro, maybe due to a better midrange unsure.gif

user posted image

there are currently 11 other new SR80 owners out there party.gif what do u guys think of your new cans headphone.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Uh... unsure.gif Don't ketuk me please.....

I still preffered HD600 to the PPA.

After 12 hours burn in. Results:

A tad bit more bass than the HD600.

The RS-80 is superaural design thus limiting the soundstage. You really need to amp it properly otherwise bass will be overwhelming and the sounds become murky (blur blur).

Since I got bighead. What Rameish recommend in the Grado review is bending the metal bar a bit.

Burn in will continue for another 36 hours....

May rebuild another amp using discrete..... tongue.gif

Stay tune.... smile.gif

lol.gif actually i find the porta-pro more murky the sr80, i like the bass of the sr80 better when compared to the porta.

i listen to the electronic music when in portable mode, so i guess soundstage is not as critical for me. almost everything sounds like "in-your-face", the only so-call staging is when is when they add panning to the music smile.gif

one thing i do like to try is build a faster amp for the SR80, i think maybe my Cmoys can't keep up with the SR-80 laugh.gif i hav the high speed LM6172 op-amps, but they hav high DC offset on the output side, the opa2228 is 20mhz but it does not sound as good as my AD823 smile.gif any ideas?

just got my SR80 from tropicalrips today....

1st impression, soundwise quite similar to my previously-owned SR60 (not much difference....think it's because I haven't burn in the SR80 yet )

I find the earpads not as comfy as the one from SR60...SR60 is fully padded - no hole in the middle... The SR80's pad is a bit "hard" compared to the SR60.

That's all for now... rolleyes.gif

Between my current Sennhiser HD 497 and the Grado SR80...

Grado not as comfy (not to mention that my girlfren thinks it looks absolutely awful, lol)

Sounds different: Grado bass definitely lighter than the Sennheiser, but warmer and more detailed.

Just my 2-cents w00t.gif

Edited by sleepygordon

At this rate, you all can setup the Team Grado SR-80.. or Team Grado for that matter of fact lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Our first ever 'team' here in SGH is the Team Beyer DT880 tongue.gif

How long till Team upgraditis? laugh.gif

Good to hear most are enjoying their SR80s so far. Mine was great until the above came!

I like the detailed sound from the headphones, its better then the shure e3c. I would say that its very 'accurate', the sound some left headphone to the right one. But I do not like the ear pads, my ears are quite big and its quite irritates my ears when worn for about 2 - 3 hours....

You guys can get a spare set of pads from Hung Bros, using the Senn 414/5(?) yellow replacement pads. Cut a hole for the driver. This not only improves comfort, but also the bass response of the SR80 - see my earlier review.

After you get used to the Senn yellow pads you'll be wondering why you ever put up with the bowl pads. For a very small sum of money you get to improve the comfort, sound as well as looks(well, this is very subjective) of the sr80s. I admit to being a non-believer until I finally tried them out myself. headphone.gif

I tried cutting a slightly bigger hole in the Senn 414 pad and putting it on to my RS1 from the other side. Much more comfortable due to the thicker sponge and you get a nice rounded circle instead of the possibly jagged-edge of your knifework. The thickness is probably between the flat and bowl pads. Sounds great to me but YMMV. cool.gif

Edited by Scriberex

Well, I'm glad you guys are enjoying your grado sr-80. Please let it burn in for at least 72 hours but if you are using normal music to burn it in then at least 150 hours. As for the headband you can bend it to make it more comfortable.

Edited by Rameish

Talking about Senn 414 pads, are these still available at Hung Bro? Otherwise, will U guys be arranging a power buy of these?

Well, I'm glad you guys are enjoying your grado sr-80. Please let it burn in for at least 72 hours but if you are using normal music to burn it in then at least 150 hours. As for the headband you can bend it to make it more comfortable.

wat about the ear pads??

i dun wan to change them, anyway to make them more seasoned--> softer..