DiGdUb

Sharp hp-md33

so i ordered this canalphones from bluetin and should get them in a few days. the reason why i ordered this is because of the insufficient high end on my shure e2c and lack of mids on the sony ex71. it would be perfect if i could have the highs and a tighter bass of the ex 71 and the mids of the e2c. from what i've read, the sharp md33 seems to do well in all areas, including comfort. anyone here got experience with these phones, because i think they are not common.

Yes, I have a pair since it was launched in Japan and I preferred it over the original and modified Sony EX70SL.

Test System :

Sharp DS-8 MD Player (Auvi 1-Bit Digital Amp) with Dolby Headphone Technology -> Sharp HP-MD33

Dolby Headphone set to Studio and Bass set at 0.

One thing to note is that the mini-jack for the DS-8 has 4 poles instead of the usual 3 poles. In a 3-poles design, the poles carry the left, right and ground signals, so both the left and right channel would share the same ground. In the Sharp DS-8 design, the 4 poles carry namely left+,left-,right+,right- so the left and right channels are totally separated from each other from the digital amp output, much like a dual mono amp design. Thus what I experience through the earphones may not be exactly what you will be able to hear.

Sound is full, detailed and clear while the soundstage is bigger than Sony. Vocals are slightly better on the Sony compared to Sharp as I preferred a slightly warmish sound. Bass is controlled better than the Sony and not boomy. The Sonys' bass is sluggish so I would preferred the Sharp's low end. I can't comment on the HF performance since I'm listening to MD, compressed through ATRAC technology, which processes heavily on the HF components.

Edited by Northern Oak

i'm planning to use it with my iriver ihp100. i have te sharp dr7 too, which is oso 4-pole compatible with the md33. so i guess its a wise choice and i think i will like the sound.

is it those necklace style cord (one long and one short, with the long one running behind the neck) or is it a conventional Y shape cord. does it have a lot of micophonic since it seals better than the ex71.

is it those necklace style cord (one long and one short, with the long one running behind the neck) or is it a conventional Y shape cord. does it have a lot of micophonic since it seals better than the ex71.

Regarding the necklace, it's the former.

No microphonics and it seals better than EX70, not sure about EX71.

How is the sound compared with say the Sony MDR-E888 or Senn MX400/500?

you wouldnt use the 4-pole product on the ihp-100 as it will imo not sound as good as its full potential

Has anyone tried using it with the 'Sharp AD-D1AC Four Pole to Three Pole Adapter Cable' on a normal Portable i.e. not designed for 4 pole.

Edited by N@Z

you wouldnt use the 4-pole product on the ihp-100 as it will imo not sound as good as its full potential

So its not advisable to use on non-sharp players? I'm choosing between ex70SL and sharp md33 for my sony mzr70..Was wondering which is a better buy..just to side track...whats the diff between ex70sl and ex71? which is better between the 2?

whats the diff between ex70sl and ex71? which is better between the 2?

i guess ex70sl is better?

Edit: added a qoute from azarel

Edited by Sipher

sigh.. warning to ex71 potential buyers... my earphones.. left side just died on me..

sigh.. now one side only~ and my sony MD... got recording problems.. sigh~ SONY cannot make it.

i have heard about that prob on a couple of forums already... i got a pair of ex71 for commuting and no probs for me *touches wood*. the major differences between the ex70 and the 71 is cosmetic and the bass is not as tight, as the ex70 bass is extremely tight.

sigh.. warning to ex71 potential buyers... my earphones.. left side just died on me..

sigh.. now one side only~ and my sony MD... got recording problems.. sigh~ SONY cannot make it.

both ex70 and ex71 are bloody delicate stuff...I've spoilt both of them within the span of 3 years..I think the wires in ex70/71 are very fragile... wacko.gif

Edited by azarel