Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Headphone Sonic Signature

Rameish, given the cans that I already have, and if my ultimate is to have better soundstaging (ie something open), with the speed and intimacy of the W100s, which can would that be? Would the SR225 fall into that mix?

I'm heading down to MBD to listen and bringing my W100 for some A-B tests. Hope they don't mind.

Had a good listen to the SR225, SR325 and briefly the RS-1.

I thought the SR225 was already good with a bit of the Grado titzy highs, but the SR325 was even better, extending lower while having a smoother more coherent high-mids, overall a much better presentation. I have no idea if it was related to run-in or not, but these were supposed to be demo units. The surprising thing was the Rs-1s which were a complete disappointment ohmy.gif It had a really odd hollow sound, like I was listening through a tube. I thought the driver was damaged or something, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

For now, if I consider a Grado, its the SR325 for me, but at $520 a pop, think I'll need some 2nd opinions from the more experienced contributors.

If you have heard the Grado line, what'dya think of the impressions I got.

cmk, I don't see anybody here is going to argue with your ears!

What you hear is what you get IMHO!

Please do forgive me for this subjective remark, seriously!!

I don't know if this is considered OT, but in the past when I was auditioning the 225 vs 325, I've always thought 325 is the way to go, but 225 is more VFM. That said, I prefer 325's leather glove, plus it looks better with the aluminium(just heavy maybe). RS-1 hollow?? hrm I think there might be something wrong with the equipment matching or at least.. the driver is probably screwed wink.gif

Hi Matbon, there's nothing to forgive, after all, I was looking for opinions. Have you heard the midrange Grados before? Or even the RS1/2?

Blues, yeah I guess the RS1s needs the RA1 rolleyes.gif and the 325's alu look is soo cool. w00t.gif

I think I know what you mean by the hollow sound on the RS-1. What we're you using it with at the time?

cmk: yeah.. very cool biggrin.gif ...

but heavy as well lol.giflol.giflol.gif ....

Edited by Blues

Well it was connected to the Cary 303/200 and a CEC preamp (can't remember the model).

Care to explain what I think I was hearing, Naz?

No idea, I'm just curious as to how the sound manifasted itself. Mine must have been something different as prior to me getting the Cayin I didn't notice that. Neither when I auditioned them at MBD using their basic CEC CDP & Cary 300SEi amp. However I notice it a bit on the Cayin prior to tuberolling them.

Initially I thought it was because of the rather long/deep wooden driver enclosure causing that resonating sound. Maybe I've gotten used to it or system synergy has removed that hollow sound as the RS-1 is my favourite for acoustic (drums, wood, metal stringed) instruments. That resonant character I enjoy alot, life like.

cmk, i tried the RS1 several times and had SR225 for a few weeks. Honestly i preferred the 225 over the RS1s as I, too, heard a weird sound which I couldn't really describe. It might be the same hollow sound you heard which mainly manifests itself in the midrange. The SR225 were more neutral than the RS1s.

After hearing the SR225 in my system, i almost sprang for one but decided against it as I have enough headphones and not enough $$$$.

Have you considered the Alessandro MS2 ? they are said to be a more neutral version of the grado SR325. Both of them are made by grado but the alessandro version is slightly tuned. the MS2 can be had from http://www.hifi.com.tw/alessandro.html for about $400. BTW someone has done a review of the MS2 on this forum.

evil-zen

Thanks for the recommendation. As with most high end stuff, it gets pretty personal and if I haven't heard the MS2, I won't risk the plunge, although I must say its very interesting.

Unfortunately, the review of the MS2 did not compare it with the SR325, so again I'm still left with unanswered questions. BTW, I did not find the SR325s bright, in fact, it was pretty neutral to me.

How do you find the DT880s compared to the SR225s?

alright a short write up the differing aspects of DT880 vs SR225 in terms of sound.

from my short term audio memory, i found that the grados are much warmer than the beyers and had a more exciting and louder bass. but in terms of bass extension, i still think the beyers are better in that regard. the beyers have a very large soundstage, thus sounding airy and has good depth too. grados on the other hand have hardly any soundstage and sounds like u are with the band instead of sitting in the audience as many others have pointed out. I havent really tested the sr225 with the sibilance test so i cant comment on that.

comfort wise, dt880 wins hands down due to the fact that the pads are circum-aural while the grados are supra-aural. the velour pads are more cosy than the foam pads too.

BTW i used the bowl pads during my audition with the grados as I found the yellow senn 414 pads to be itchy after a while. Ya and these two are pretty common cans around here and quite a few here have heard them.