Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Headphone Sonic Signature

Im just fussy about noise coming in so i place a very high value on isolation...hence my preference for closed cans...

The DT-150 aint too bad right?

there are 2 obvious different things going on here. one is an individual's personal preference when listening to a particular type/genre of music. The other is the headphone's signature itself.

On the characteristics of a headphone: headstage/soundstage is also prettey important after you get the tone you're looking for.

For large scale orchestra/big band music I like the Senn HD-600 as it's weaknesses are less aparent with this type of music while it suits this headphones strengths.

For traditional Jazz, Bossa Nova Jazz and Cuban Jazz, I prefer the Beyer DT-931

For rock/heavy metal: Grado SR-225 (more well balanced) or even the SR-325 (a bit bright but hey sounds very good with heavy metal)

For chamber type of music: Beyer DT-150, DT-880

One can to rule them all? No thanks. It's too expensive an experiment.It's fare cheaper to that 2-3 cans to do the job than to keep looking for one can to do it all as well as the the 2-3 cans.

Of course each of the above cans mentioned above can sound good to lousy depending on the amplification used.

Pair a Senn HD-600 with Creek and you're asking for trouble, while pairing an X-Cans (any version) with any Grado is an adventure for masochistic people.

chamber music?

my first time hearing this type of music, can help to give examples please?

chamber music?

my first time hearing this type of music, can help to give examples please?

Hi Q00

Chamber music is basically small ensembles playing quartets, quintets, etc... quite a lot of the nice pieces are from the Baroque period. One of my favourite pieces is Bach's Orchestral Suites, all very enjoyable.

Thanks for the info Cmk!

During the meet i sneaked in some time with the DT-150 and found them to be very competent on several jazz pieces. I liked that it gave me a feeling of space even though it was a pair of closed cans.

What would be a good pair of cans to complement my current set of DT931? Meaning that it will cover the weaknesses of the 931s. Open or Closed doesn't really matter.

I'm also probably getting the Cayin headamp so ideally these cans should have some synergy with this amp.

Let's not compensate one can's weakness with another for this tends to evolve into a long chain of upgrades. In your case of DT931 which is of open design, DT150 (closed) will give U better isolation, much closer proximity to soundstage and neutrality.

I widened the aluminium bars of the DT990 so that the cans doesn't clamp my head so much and the cans sounded slightly different, like a bit livier, less bass, also less fatiguing due to lower clamp pressure. I listened to more music on the DT990s and found them to be really quite nice, musical, warm, with good instrument separation and tonality. The Melos' tight control over the bass certainly matches well with these cans. Although on certain "bright" music, the highs were a little overboard. The strength of these cans are really in the bass dept. Deep, tight and well defined. On certain electronic pieces, the mid range tonal balance is really well developed. Very clean sound and needs to be driven hard to get the best out of these cans.

Did a comparison with the ATH W100s and the W100s were slightly different in terms of : speed - certainly faster. It not necessarily means that slow is bad, or fast is good, rather it really depends on the kind of music. When you want to appreciate a legato, adagio, certainly the slower can would be better. Soundstage - felt more near field/close up compared to the open DT990 and therefore more appropriate for laid back music. In a sense it did not separate instruments as well as the DT990. Bass response - certainly was there and tighter than the DT990. This helped to contribute to the sense of pace and rythm. Treble was not as bright and certainly could take higher SPLs before breaking up.

Overall, both are good cans. If I want to relax, I suppose the DT990s are it, while the W100s are for more critical listening. Both communicate the music well and are full range, ie the bass is heard/felt.

System :

CEC TL2 > Meridian 566 DAC > Melos SHA-1(stock)

Can anyone loan a DT880/HD600/K1000/SR225?

I agree with Rawhit. I loved the AKG K1000's for all music, even linkin park! They can do rock, jazz, classical, chillout because they just reproduce the signal very very well. It is the artists and recording people who should make it sound 'nice' not the headphones.

I widened the aluminium bars of the DT990 so that the cans doesn't clamp my head so much and the cans sounded slightly different, like a bit livier, less bass, also less fatiguing due to lower clamp pressure. I listened to more music on the DT990s and found them to be really quite nice, musical, warm, with good instrument separation and tonality. The Melos' tight control over the bass certainly matches well with these cans. Although on certain "bright" music, the highs were a little overboard. The strength of these cans are really in the bass dept. Deep, tight and well defined. On certain electronic pieces, the mid range tonal balance is really well developed. Very clean sound and needs to be driven hard to get the best out of these cans.

Did a comparison with the ATH W100s and the W100s were slightly different in terms of : speed - certainly faster. It not necessarily means that slow is bad, or fast is good, rather it really depends on the kind of music. When you want to appreciate a legato, adagio, certainly the slower can would be better. Soundstage - felt more near field/close up compared to the open DT990 and therefore more appropriate for laid back music. In a sense it did not separate instruments as well as the DT990. Bass response - certainly was there and tighter than the DT990. This helped to contribute to the sense of pace and rythm. Treble was not as bright and certainly could take higher SPLs before breaking up.

Overall, both are good cans. If I want to relax, I suppose the DT990s are it, while the W100s are for more critical listening. Both communicate the music well and are full range, ie the bass is heard/felt.

System :

CEC TL2 > Meridian 566 DAC > Melos SHA-1(stock)

Can anyone loan a DT880/HD600/K1000/SR225?

cmk, U might be interested to up the ante of your pair of DT990 through the following tweak. Look at the enclosure from the outside and U'll see translucent acoustic cloth covering a concentric-hole where the back of drivers are. What I did was to remove all the parts inside-out and use a pointed-tip soldering iron to burn out the piece of synthetic cloth along the concentric hole. Replace all the parts and once done, the drivers back are exposed akin to HD600 and other open-designed cans.

Even without pumping the cans with music, U can tell a difference simply by putting the cans on. Gone are the last bit of isolation and be amazed by a sound that is wider in soundstaging, more airiness, smoother treble while bass quality still maintains its pre-mod level. The only drawback are the mod is irreversible unless U were to replace the whole pieces of acoustic cloth and ambient noise (if any) will be much more noticeable.

Before U consider this route, I suggest U pop by and audition my modded pair against yours.

Mac, I might just go ahead and try this mod. BTW, I didn't quite understand the "remove all the parts inside-out". Do you mean from the cushions? Or from the outside? Just to confirm, otherwise I might spoil my baby.

cmk,

Man.........U're scaring me........don't blame me if the mod does not work for U. blink.gif

1. Remove the velour pads and remember the exact positionings as these pads have "memory" of the contours of your side-face.

2. Use a very tiny optician's screwdriver to prise open a plastic ring that clamps on a acoustic foam covering drivers. Try the part that looks like this along the circular ring:

_I I_

3. The driver should be exposed now and repeat step (2) as it's held by a circular ring too.

4. Without de-soldering the wires from the driver, let it rest on a clean piece of paper and proceed on the white acoustic cloth. Burn it gently along the concentric circle with a sharp-tipped soldering iron but take care not to burn the plastic grill behind it. Even if U do which results in rough edges on the straight grilles, use one of the bigger optician screwdrivers to gently chisel off these edges..............should look as good as new.

5. Ensure no debris is left on the enclosure and dampening foam (stuck on the enclosure). Remount the drivers and ensure the wirings are not bent or trapped in awkward positions.

6. Place the acoustic foam over the driver and press the plastic ring over it. U should see pin notches etched on the foam as per factory installation and use them as guide points. Ensure the foam does not bloat when the circular ring is installed; make sure it's lightly stretched by spreading the pressure evenly when mounting the ring.

Finally.............let us know what U think of your modded 990. headphone.gif

The end result should look like the picture below but with the driver's back in full view from the circular window, which is covered by white acoustic cloth originally.

post-2-1078811686.jpg

Edited by Mackie

Be very careful CMK and good luck. Maybe you should rake the trouble to listen to the modded 990 first before doing the mod yourself.