Sign in to follow this  
hacknet

High impedance cans

i`m thinking of getting a pair of cans, i don`t have a great bugdet and i was hoping for kind souls to point me in the right direction.

i`m basically looking for a reasonable pair of cans with good bass response. i`m looking for PRAT obove extension. in addition, a high impedance.

this is essential as i am hoping to drive it with a OTL tube amp that i`m designing at the moment.

any ideas?

thanks in advance!

Edited by hacknet

Based on what I've heard the following should meet your criteria when used with an OTL amp:

- DT150, 250 & 880 (all 250 ohms)

- Senn 600 (300 ohms)

i don`t have a really big one. i don`t know how much i have to spend. i`ll have a look at the options then start saving.

whats the senn 600 going for?

hacknet, im driving my senn 600s with a morgan jones otl (diy) - great synergy at work here. grados seem a bit edgy but then the 6dj8 tubes are not exactly warmish tubes. and i think i may have a winner in the akg 271s which i just acquired (only 30 hours into the burn in process). i will have some idea once it has hit 100 hours or so. note: the grados and akgs are low z.

That's a healthy budget. I favour DT150/880 and to a certain extent DT990 too. But it's just my view for I'm known to embrace Beyer cans closer to my heart.

FYI: DT150 (closed), DT880 (semi-open) and DT990 (open).

RRP of DT150 costs around S$430. Of course I can get it much cheaper but U'll have to pm me.

It's true close-back designs excel in bass performance. Usually, the concern is not the quantity but quality of bass performance with such designs.