Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Spark HA-1A Revisited

Some musings...Yesterday, 29th March 2004, at precisely 5:10 pm I collected my Spark Audio HA-1A (also known as the Cayin HA-1A). Both models are identical on the outside except now the Spark Audio sports "better" looking speaker binding posts. However the local agent has informed me that the price has gone up because Spark had raised their prices and that he's once again awaiting shipment for a new batch. He told me that there have been some improvements made as well - like the WBT style speaker binding posts. It's nice to know spark is continually improving their product while this time it came with a price tag.

This latest version makes it the 4th version that I know of. The first version only performed in ultralinear mode and the toroid transformer was not shielded. The second version was sheilded. The 3rd was also sheilded but this time the amp can function in ultralinear as well as tride mode. And this the latest revision with all the above improvements plus the WBT style speaker binding posts plus a hoveland looking cap (I'm quite certain it's not hoveland btw. The last (ie 3 version had a xindak cap.

To me the 3rd version and this 4th version sounds the same - but I could be wrong bec I only had the 3rd version for a couple of days. So the 3rd version was not burnt in either and neither is this so I'll wait a couple of week before updating this thread with a "review".

The 12AU7 and the 12AX7 are of chinese origin from the plate struscture - probably from the shuguang factory which I had thought had stopped making 9-pin miniature tubes but I guess my intel is inaccuarate in this matter keke.

Also from the manual I gather that the headphone output is only in triode mode (am not sure abt this) as the specs are brokendown into sections: As a Preamp, as an intregrated and as a headphone amp. The headphone amp specs section only mentions power rating for triode mode. However I wount be surprised if thats just an ommission in the manual as it is not very well written.

The other thing I noticed abut the ver3 and this version 4 is the impedence selector at the back works inversely in affecting loudness. ie at 121 - 300 ohm the volume is louder than at lower settings. This sorta goes against the idea that the greater the impedence output the lower the volume. So I'm guessing that the impedence selector is not indicative of the output impedence (like in the corda) but is the manufacturer's recommendation headphone impedence. Which means they got it right for Senn HD-600 and Beyer DT-990 and Grados but wrong for high impedence cans that prefer higher impedence output. I hope this makes sense LOL.

Anyways, listening tests over the next 4 weeks will allow me t figure that one out as the higher output impedence of an amp affects sound - less treble energy and less control over bass for a given headphone.

back later with more info

HA_1Aback.JPG

Heyy... bedroom rig now?

I noticed that about the impedance selector as well on mine, which have me hardly going over 9 o'clock on the volume knob for my usual listening level be it with low impedance (RS-1/CD3K) or high impedance (DT150/HD600).

Hey I have the same alarm clock.

Mine is actually a temp regulator that shuts off the amp if it ever get too hot. LOL

Seriously it's a great travel clock - with temp guide. That clock have toured half the world. LOL

Hello my silver streaks are with the WBT Toplines lah not the WBT Midlines. So no solder to give that nice topend glare.

Mackie,

For the Beyer DT-880 which output on the impedence selector did you prefer?

Nothernoak,

Did spark ever get back to you about the need to link the +ve and -ve speaker taps of each channel with an 8 ohm resistor if swapping headphones or did they say it's okay to do so as long as the amp is not left without a load for too long?

Also did Spark every get back on the actual output impedences of the various inpedance selections?

Nothern Oak,

Did spark ever get back to you about the need to link the +ve and -ve speaker taps of each channel with an 8 ohm resistor if swapping headphones or did they say it's okay to do so as long as the amp is not left without a load for too long?

Rameish,

Spark Audio got back to me saying that it's okay to do so as long as the amp is not left without a load for too long. Sorry, forgot to update you about this cause I've been very busy recently. laugh.gif

Thanks Oak. Hope you're less busy before you leave so we can have one more meet or mini-meet at least.

Ahgo,

No high sen speakers in my home. At least no speakers that can be adequately driven by a 2 watt amp in ultralinear mode and 1 watt in triode mode.

Edited by Rameish

Mackie,

For the Beyer DT-880 which output on the impedence selector did you prefer?

Excuse me for my snail reply. I didn't play around much with the impedance on DT880 for I'm pretty satisfied with 250-300 ohm selection.