tee

Bit88

Yes that's the one.

Here's another link to the review of the Float Model 2 from HiFiChoice

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/9...printreview.htm

Some other nice cans reviewed too.

thanks N@Z. wink.gif If you come across any Float for sale here, pls let us know. wink.gif

Ditto!

Hi N@Z,

Thanks for your URL to Hifi Choice, i also managed to read the interesting review about Stax's Lambda Nova Earspeaker System. Felt that it's really value for money for my latest collection. It sounds really sweet and airy cool.gifwink.gif

Should really have a head-fi meet at your place one day, your gear list looks impressive!

Thanks N@Z....it is just a collection of mainly used equipment from the flea markets, secondhand dealers and private sellers / collectors.

Most of them are at mid-fi level. But the real joys come from listening to their respective sound quality and blending with other components, all at a fraction of the original costs.

In this way, it costs less to do mix and match trials....and also allows some geographical spread so that the soundstage or soundfield is always with me. wink.gif

Stax, Shanling, Krell, Apogee, Totem etc... mid-fi?! ohmy.gif

I have to go to your flea market then!

Any good 'flea markets' to recommend, tee? I'm hovering around echoloft but nothing much leh ... I'm considering getting into home audio setup as well ...

Hi N@Z,

i undertand and learn from my seniors that for a piece of equipment to be classified as hi-end, they have to be rated by Stereophile Class A or A+. If you look at the prices of say speakers in these categories, it would hover around US$3-20k. Since mine would generally be less than S$1k each (secondhand price), the gap is apparent. Nevertheless, i still enjoy the music so long as it sounds musically with good dynamic control, clarity and balance.

Hi Oak,

As i have just started this hobby not too long ago, i could only share my limited knowledge with you. I think there are about 6 hi-fi secondhand shops on this Island :

1. Chung Hing trading at Roxy Square 1F

2. CK Audio at Golden Landmark 3F

3. Audio Jas in 161 Lavendar Street #01-10

4. Audio Line at Sembawang Shopping Centre 2F

5. Golden Ear at Adelphi 4F

6. One more new shop at Adelphi B1

For flea markets or similar shop house, pls try :

a. Clarke Quay on Sundays

b. Happy Year at Blk 633 Veerasamy Road #01-136, 73B Jln Besar

c. Sungei Road open market

However, i am not sure of the places in Brunei.

Happy shopping !! wink.gif

Hi N@Z,

i undertand and learn from my seniors that for a piece of equipment to be classified as hi-end, they have to be rated by Stereophile Class A or A+. If you look at the prices of say speakers in these categories, it would hover around US$3-20k. Since mine would generally be less than S$1k each (secondhand price), the gap is apparent.

Hi tee,

I have to disagree with your friend's notion on the high-end classification in accordance to Stereophile's rating. Ironically, quoting from Bob Harley's book "The Complete Guide to High-End Audio", who is the former Chief Consulting Technical Editor of Stereophile magazine, he wrote that high-end does not equate to a high price tag but sound quality. For instance, a $1,000 gear with great performance in music making is deemed high-end but a $10,000 gear that fails is not.

user posted image

In the 80-90s, British mags classify mid-fi at those around the S$1000 mark and budget range around S$500...as a rough guide. Hence, brands that cost 5-figure or up and with super sound quality to boot are considered Super high-end or super-fi, eg. Gryphon, Burmester, Goldmund.

Therefore, U are owning some really high-end gears even though U may disagree. Congrats! yes.gif : kicking.gif

Edited by Mackie

Hi Mackie,

Thanks for your very interesting comments and compliments. Now i have more confidence in my gears and hopefully i could release them at better prices when i am ready to upgrade to humm... say Burmester, Goldmund, Gryphon, Genesis, FM Acoustic, Wadia, Jadis, Jeff Rowland, dCS, PiR, ....after many years in the scene.....naturally wink.gif

OT again: Why do they call it a flea market when there are no fleas? Or are there?! ohmy.gif

Hi N@Z,

well, i guess it is because you can never expect things and items that are being offered in that market, just like you wouldn't know when fleas would appear in your carpet.....and some of these items could be as small as fleas...... and the most important thing is that it is highly unlikely to find two identical items at the same time, just like the fleas of all kinds. happy.gif

OT again : Is there a facility where I, as an individual member in this forum, compile all sections and threads the respective replies posted by me previously ? For retrieval convenience, perhaps some form of sorting or search sequence based on title (in alphabetical order) or chronological posting (in order of date) could be linked to a compilation button for any member specified wink.gif

Other than using the search function, I don't think there is any other specific way.