red_ryder

Cdp with good synergy with DT931s and Spark HA-1A?

Budget about $300, willing to go for used cdps. Any recommendations?

marantz ... players ... quite a GOOD match ! ( try to listen see which one you like )

unless you have a BIG buget ... MFA3 CDp ... would be nice ! laugh.gifhappy.gif

sorry ... but i also cannot afford A3 ... lol.giflol.gif

Err that my personal finding ... so please understand .. laugh.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

Given that you've already spent so much on your amp and headphones, why not up the budget for your source so as to do them justice? After all its the most important part of the audio chain. Also, I'd rather buy brand new cdps for peace of mind and local warranty. wink.gif

Given that you've already spent so much on your amp and headphones, why not up the budget for your source so as to do them justice? After all its the most important part of the audio chain. Also, I'd rather buy brand new cdps for peace of mind and local warranty. wink.gif

Maybe you're right. It's precisely because I've spent a significant amount on the cans and amp that I'm reluctant to spend more on a cdp, in case the improvement is only marginal. So I thought that getting a 2nd hand piece would be less of a risk.

IMVVHO, a $1k (S)CDP new or used, would then match u amp n HPs.

How about Marantz CD5400? These cdps are selected as demo sets for cds by Sembawang Music Center retail stores. Why not bring your 931 and plug it direct to its headphone socket and test out the shop's cds? Best to ask for permission of course.

Edited by Mackie

How about Marantz CD5400? These cdps are selected as demo sets for cds by Sembawang Music Center retail stores. Why not bring your 931 and plug it direct to its headphone socket and test out the shop's cds? Best to ask for permission of course.

I was at a Sembawang store today, interestingly enough and saw the Marantz cdp. Unfortunately they blast the music so loud from the speakers that it would be impossible to audition the cdp with open cans.

And Rameish, to answer your question I'm using an old Denon DCD810 that I bought used from someone. It's better than my dvdp, but female vocals don't sound too good on it, on the harsh side. Classical music and pop are ok.

laugh.gifcool.gif ya maybe tubes rolls will help you on reducing the harsh sounding ... but that provided you wanna commit into changing the tubes ( of cos not cheap ) by right ( IMO ) if that a tube amp it should more or less reduce the harsh sound ...

like what blues had mention before the marantz cd 6000 OSE had a harsh sounding sound but it was very reduce by the cayin ..( heh ... not to mention i have it tubes rolled )

will i guess if you have time really go down to some cdp shops and try out around your buget .... headphone.gif

just as what mackie have mention that would be the very best .. unless there a meet coming up ( which i suppose that it may not be held )

well all the best in for search in the CDP ... a bigger buget would be better ... happy.gif

laugh.gifcool.gif ya maybe tubes rolls will help you on reducing the harsh sounding ... but that provided you wanna commit into changing the tubes ( of cos not cheap ) by right ( IMO ) if that a tube amp it should more or less reduce the harsh sound ...

like what blues had mention before the marantz cd 6000 OSE had a harsh sounding sound but it was very reduce by the cayin ..( heh ... not to mention i have it tubes rolled )

will i guess if you have time really go down to some cdp shops and try out around your buget .... headphone.gif

just as what mackie have mention that would be the very best .. unless there a meet coming up ( which i suppose that it may not be held )

well all the best in for search in the CDP ... a bigger buget would be better ... happy.gif

I have heard hasrsh sounding tube amps before.

IMO The cayin/spark HA-1A out of the box and with stock tubes is not my choice for headphones like the dt-931. Am currently in the process of tube rolling and no they arent expensive (ie well within your budget of S$300). However only you can decide if you wish to tube roll or change cdp.

The Marantz CD 3000 OSE or OSE LE is NOT harsh sounding - please disregard opinions based on limited exposure to this CDP. The top end on this CDP is a little edgy - I give you that - in fact it was I who told blues about it when he wanted to buy one. So I feel a little responsible for the word "harsh". If anything it's a bit mellow in the mids and bass department. So the word harsh should not be used to describe the overall tone presentation. Of course if you're using a pair of Kimber Silver Streaks with the midline plugs not the topline this will amplify the top end edginess (is there such a word?? LOL). Then the Cayin/Spark with stock tubes are a little grainy and the top end is a b it harsh as well. The DT-931 is also a little bright sounding. So you have now a system with good components but a bit of a miss-match IMO.

Since you already have a cdp (which I suspect is a bit bright) and the cayin (whcih is a bit grainy) and the DT-931 my most cost effective suggestion is to tube roll (please wait a few weeks for me to complete it).

BTW what are your interconnects? I do hope they are not the silver streaks with the midline connectors.

I'm using Klotz GY107 + Neutrik Profi RCA interconnects.

My suspicion is either my current cdp or the interconnects are the culprit for the harshness because during the audition for the HA-1A, the harshness wasn't present. I brought down the 931s, but used a Spark cdp in the shop and dunno what interconnects. The HA-1A there was also using stock tubes I presume.

O.o thanks ... never expose to them before !!

GOmen ... my fault ... my mistake ...

well go try out at someone house who have a setup near your buget !

O.o thanks ... never expose to them before !!

GOmen ... my fault ... my mistake ...

well go try out at someone house who have a setup near your buget !

Anyway it is more of system synergy than budget.