Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Living With The AKG K-1000

What other Cary amp uses 300B tubes? 300SEi perhaps? tongue.gif

What other Cary amp uses 300B tubes? 300SEi perhaps? tongue.gif

The CAD 300 SE monoblocks uses 300B tubes

Ok lets get back on track. Yes I would love to use the Cary CAD-300 sei to drive the AKG K-1000. So I would now like to say a prayer to the hi-fi gods to let me have it for a 3 week duration?

I haven't been here for ages, I drop by just to see what?s going on and you are all talking about my favourite headphone! laugh.gif

Anyway I found that the brightness was REALLY improved with a change of the extension cable. I replaced it with a pure silver one and it completely fixed any sibilance or brightness as well as improving detail.

So have any of you tried the Sony R10 while I have been away? wink.gif

Cheers,

ahaha... one of the first few people in this forum to have a K1000.... gd to see u back!

So I was correct...  Hehe..  Although most other persons won't be able to get enough volume out of a low voltage gain amp for the K1000's.

Yup and thanks for the tip - I would never have thought the little amp could do so much.

Once again thanks.; headphone.gif

With a little luck, a Grado RA-1/ Clone can drive the K-1000's for your volumes. Do make sure the batteries are on full charge so that you can get enough voltage swing on the output.

Grado RA-1...hmm. Will have to wait as right now I have to fully burn in the tubes on the Spark HA-1, the amp itself and the AKG. Anyways even at low volumes I tend to prefer the Ultralinear mode over the triode mode for this amp (when using the AKG K-1000)

Tenson,

I thought you were selling your AKG innocent.gif

I have sold them! *sob* But they helped to finance a pair of PMC AML1 speakers so I am very happy. I will have to get a pair again when I have the cash though laugh.gif

Have fun with your K1000!

Tenson,

Sad to hear it. On a brighter note at least it's not as elusive as the Grado HP-1 or as expensive.

Ok so after burning it in for 10 hours on Sat, 10 hours on Sun, and 11 hours on Mon, I finally am close to hearing what I believe is the AKG K-1000 sound. Altogether it has approx 120 hours on it now and I hope to hit the 150 mark by Sat or Sun.

Then all next week will be spent evaluating it. I'll be using 2 rigs for this.Since I have 2 Rotel RCD-971

Rig No.1 will be:

Rotel -> Kimber KS-1030 -> Corda HA-1 -> Beyer DT-931

Rig No2 will be:

Rotel -> Kimber KS-1020 -> Spark HA-1 -> AKG K-1000

Not a fair comparison I know but I happen to like the Corda+Beyer combo very very much.

L@@K forward to the continuing adventure of the AKG K1K in my next installment.

Cheers