Sign in to follow this  
LiquidFX

Panasonic SLCT810 or iRiver iMP-550

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a pcdp, but trying to decide between these 2 models. Anyone have any experience with either one and got any recommendations?

I am looking for qualities like long battery life, sound quality, shock protection and easy file management in this order. Does anyone know if the list of songs on a CD appears on the SLCT810 remote as a list categorized by their folders or do they appear as 1 long list?

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

I have a Iriversp250 and panasonic ct490. IMHO iRiver has better sound quality.

Probably does not matter to you, but try to get the IMP400 or IMP450. The 550 does not have an control on the player itself, in the event(touch wood) that the remote is down, u gotta get the remote replace before using the player again. If not under warranty, the player set up back bout 30USD, w/o shipping. As quoted to me by the agent and Hong Kong agent too.

My porta system:

Panasonic SL-CT810 + Pro.2 PH-1000 Limited Edition

Very musical combination.

The SL-CT810 is a very well build unit.

post-8-1083573831.jpg

Thanks Ma6Jie, the SLCT810 definitely looks more well built than the iRiver. Did you have a chance to listen to the iRiver? Which one do you prefer?

I had no chance to listen to the iRiver.

I did consider the iRiver 550 at that time.

Bring your earphone, CDs to test the unit.

Im curious as to how the Pro.2 headphones sound like...ive seen a few for sale here and there. What do they sound like for closed cans?

I have heard the iMP-550 and ain't a fan. It sounds mediocre, somewhat bright and harsh to me, but it could be just my setup. My vintage Sony D-5A sounds much better (perhaps I prefer a warmer sound). But the iMP-550 definitely wins on functionality and additional frills. Those interested might want to do a search on Head-fi for Bangraman's opinions on the iMP-550, I agree largely with those.

Thanks!

I'm trying to choose between Panny Sl-CT810, Sony D-NE10 and iRiver iMP-550. I've read reviews from everywhere but all were non-conclusive but I've more or less taken iMP-550 out of my list due to the short battery life. I intend to use the player to play Red Book CD.

Actually, I've managed to borrow the imp-550 from a friend last week to try it out. And I don't like the sound either.

Like Absolute0, I think it sounds kinda harsh too. I played a few Norah Jones mp3s (LAME encoded alt extreme, 192kbps) on it and her highs (which are not really that high anyway) sounds bad and distorted on my E2Cs which are connected to the imp-550 lineout which I used to test.

The problem is not due to the inability of the E2Cs to handle the highs, because those exact same mp3s sounds superb when played using the same pair of E2Cs from my Ipaq 3970! blink.gif

So I conclude that my Ipaq 3970 sounds better than the imp-550 to me when playing Norah Jones. wacko.gif

I think I will probably get the Panasonic.

BTW Northern Oak, if you are just playing redbook CDs, maybe you could consider the Sony D-EJ2000?

About the D-EJ2000, I've heard mixed reviews about it, with most saying that the NE10 is better than the 2000. I'm trying to find a shop that have the models available for testing.

Mackie,

Does Jade Gift Shop carries all the above?

Liquid FX, have you bought your PCDP already? If you want battery life, check out the Panasonic SL-CT810. And it really looks quite good as well. My brother has that and apparently, he charged it like only twice in the 3 months he has it. Well, obviously, he ain't using it heavily.

Anyway, battery life depends on the earphones you are using also. If you need to drive them hard, it'll suck up more batteries. Anyway, the Panasonic SL-CT810 has an external battery pack as well.