Sign in to follow this  
david watt

Impression of the ATH-A500

My humble contribution to the local headphone community:

Audio-Technica ATH-A500 Art Headphone

Features

# High quality Audio-Technica new generation headphones

# D.A.D.S. (Double Air Damping System) for bass reproduction (D.A.D.S was developed for the legendary Audio-Technica ATH-W2002 Limited Edition Wooden Headphones)

# Large aperture phi 53 drivers private design in wide range playback

# New 3D Wing Support Housing vibration-proof mechanism (PAT) gives comfortable support for a better listening experience

# Wrapping 3.0m OFC input cord

# Total ear fitting ear pad design

Specifications

# Type: Closed Dynamic

# Driver Unit: 53mm, CCAW voice coil

# Magnet: Neodymium

# Frequency response: 5-30,000 Hz

# Impedance: 64Ω

# Max. Input Power: 500mW

# Sensitivity: 100dB

# Plug: Gold-plating stereo mini plug (1/4 plus 1/8 plugs)

# Cord length: 3.0m (Wrapping / OFC)

# Net weight (without cord): 290g

All these technical stuff can be accessed via Audiocubes.com

This is a Made-in-Japan pair of headphones, as is written at the back of the package that comes with it.

The specifications and instructions at the back of the package were all in Japanese.

I have gotten this pair of headphones for about a week now.

Straight out from the box, they actually sound rather good with plenty of details, except that I feel it is a little bright. The piano pieces sound like those from a harpsichord.

So, I let it run in for about 50 hours and the piano pieces now sound quite natural to my ears.

The A500 is a large pair of headphones.

It definitely is not as discreet as the PX100/200 and thus not as portable in that one would not ordinarily want to be seen walking along the streets with the A500 on…

However, the A500 is rather closed and does seal off outside noise to the extent that a conversation a few metres away can sound rather muffled. People around will not be disturbed by the sound emitted from the headphones and also this is good for the listener’s ears since the volume does not have to be as loud as that in an open pair of headphones.

Comfort is definitely one of the design criteria of the A500. The 290g on the specification list may initially seem daunting. Fortunately, the soft but firm foam at the ear-cups, together with the "3D Wing Support Housing vibration-proof mechanism (PAT)" (refer to specification above), make the A500 feel very light when worn. However, the foam does feel rather warm, to my ears, on extended listening. Air-conditioning or a nearby fan definitely helps to delay this discomfort.

The A500 is not the big and ugly type. Actually, it looks rather "chio" and it does not have, IMO, the "cheap plastic" feeling of the Grados SR60/80, though they are comparable in prices. A500 definitely looks and feels more robust than the Grados SR60/80.

Moreover, A500 works very well out of a portable cd player (pcdp). When i use the pcdp with the provided ear-buds, i normally listen at 3-bars of the volume but with the A500, roughly 6-bars will suffice. As mentioned above, the isolation of the ear-cups and its inherent efficiency play a crucial role in this.

OK. The pertinent question is: How does the A500 sound???

Plugging the A500 into the controller-stick's headphone jack of the SONY D-EJ955:

"Oldies on a rainy day" by Premium Records

Track 1:What a wonderful world by Louis Armstrong.

The first thing that struck me was the clarity of the music out of the A500. I can actually hear the "dragging" and "ringing" of the last word in every line of the song. The percussions are distinctly in the right ear and other instruments in the left ear with the vocal right at the centre. The piano is also quite discernible in the right ear if one listens carefully.

Teresa Teng's 5th Anniversay 2CD by Polydor/ Universal.

CD1:

Track 2:yue liang dai biao wo de xin

Again, lyrics are very clear. Finally, i can make out the words without the need to refer to their written form. Intake and expulsion of air by the singer whether at mid-way, beginning or end of the line of the song can be heard.

Instruments accompanying her voice are quite clearly distinguished. The xylophone's "ding" in the left ear is crisp. Resonance of such percussion instruments, when intended by the audio-engineer, is accurate. There is a low-frequency bass instrument accompanying her singing. This does not distort, on the contrary, the notes played by this instrument can be made out quite clearly.

Yanni Live at the Acropolis by BMG

Track11: Aria

First thing i noted: there are definitely 2 sopranos. The one at the right sings first followed by the one at the left. The difference between the A500 and the supplied ear-buds is that i can clearly tell when one vocalist stops and the other begins. I still cannot make out the language they are singing in.

Bass boost is definitely not required by the A500. The drumbeats sound punchy without it but murky and overwhelming with the bass boost activated.

Norah Jones come Away With Me by BlueNote

Track1: Come Away with me

Vocal is clear and airy. The double bass in the opening is clean, without the impression of running out of air especially when the instrument gets really low.

The plucking and vibration of the strings on the double bass can be heard at times. The cymbals sound accurate with their reverb and crispness in the right amount.

A500 sound good when watching movies on the tv. The isolation the cup provides

mean that people around will not be disturbed by the boom and crash from the Hollywood-styled pyrotechnics.

However, it gets rather annoying when watching shows like channel U's Guess. When the show's contestants and hosts speak into the mike, their voices boom into your head.

This actually attest to the accuracy of the A500 in reproducing badly audio-engineered materials.

In conclusion the A500 sound very good indeed, for the money involved. Subtleties in the music that I did not know to exist were reproduced clearly. Needless to say, enjoyment of the music is greatly enhanced.

A500 sound very good directly out of the headphone jack of the player, TV or even the laptop. I have not tried the A500 with a head-amp but from fellow forumers at Head-Fi, that seems unnecessary.

A500, I feel, is value-for-money for the budding audiophile, considering the price involved.

There is also no need to spend and extra few hundred on a headphone amp to complement it. It already sounds so good without. That is a great plus.

It is also very comfortable, quite detailed, has good soundstage and also good isolation which reduced the need to switch to high volumes when listening to it.

On the negative side, one's ears may get a little warm due to the ear-cup's foam around the ear together with the humid weather here. This should not be much of a problem if it is to be used in an air-conditioned place or even next to a fan. The isolation will block out most of the noise from the fan.

Bought this last pair at Retrospective for $160.

IMO, the sales service is really excellent compared to another shop at the same level in Adelphi…

The A500 is still available at Audio-Technica HQ in Singapore the last time I called, retailing for $170.

Hung Bros does not carry this the last time I went though the sales person there offered to check out the stocks for me and also gave me a name-card to call him back.

excellent review!!

do you have any other cans to compare it with? yes.gif

Unfortunately, i have no other headphones with me at the moment.

However, i did have a chance to audition the SR60/80 few weeks ago.

Based on my brief encounter with the Grados, i would say that soundstage on the A500 is much wider than that of the Grados.

Grados seem rather flimsy when i try them out then, in contrast against the relatively robust built of the A500.

Detail-wise, they seem on par though i realise at that level of listening, the Grados do leak a lot.

Thanks for your review. Do keep us updated should you happen to hear other headphones to make direct comparisons with.

OT: Actually, the Grado's looks are fairly deceiving. They are very robust under normal usage. I had my SR80 for a couple of years, even carried them in my rucksack laid flat inbetween magazines while travelling.

Where exactly is Retrospective? Thanks laugh.gif Or are there any other places that sell the A500 too?

One more question... should the earpads start to "shed its skin", can they actually be replaced? Cuz i noticed that the earpads arn't exactly the normal oval shape like the rest...

And really nice review laugh.gif I'm thinking of getting an A500, but not so soon... damn i shouldn't have bought my earbuds...

Retrospective is at the Adelphi. Try Hung bros or Stereo.

i agree that comfort is what almost made me choose the AT over grado headphone, but still got the grados. Sooner or later, when i got sick of my grado, AT is most likely next on my shopping list.

Hehe...surprised to see this thread revived!

Actually i got my A500 nearly a year ago so i am not sure whether Retrospective still has it.

The earpads of my a500 are already wearing out, the thin outer layer material tearing actually, revealing the soft sponge underneath! tongue.gif

However that doesn't affect the sound in any way except maybe a tinny-weeny part of the isolation factor(?) In fact the headphones are actually more comfortable since the original padding can cause the ears to feel warm.

IMO, A500 is very good for watching movies straight out from the audio jacks- impactful, deep bass and one can hear the sound effect moving from left to right etc.

However for music, personally i feel that the pitch of the sound is a little high, causing female vocals to sound un-natural tone-wise. Other than that is quite OK, i feel.

For that price, actually Shure E2c can be considered too. The built is durable with thick chords and sleeves at the joints to cushion against wear and tear. Sound wise after burn-in: Bass is there but not as deep as the A500, vocals more prominent. Side-by-side comparison with the Panasonics HJE50, the Panasonics sound very muffled and everything being so bright in comparison.

Edited by david watt

I see... thanks for the second review laugh.gif I went to retrospective today, and they said that they've ran out of stock sad2.gif Hmm... for the female vocals, i think i can do some EQ there... haha... Really hope that i can get an A500 or the A700 over at the selling thread... it will be my very first headphones laugh.gif Had only owned earbuds and behind the neck phones, so ya... haha.. feeling so excited already laugh.gif

Actually i feel that EQ will only help to a certain extent. The female vocal-thingy is actually a inherent nature of the sound of the A500. It is precisely that character that makes watching action movies on it so fun.

Vocals and acoustic instruments, however will not sound quite natural especially when one plays/hears the particular instruments first-hand.

But then, YMMV & it might have been that i am just too nitty-picky.

Cheers!

Yeah, IMO, i don't think any earphones/headphones will be able to produce the kind of musical depth/natural sound when compared to hearing them live. Anyway, for the padding, is it actually sold by AT Singapore? Or will it have to be imported from Japan?

Pictures of the A500...

P.S. Experts at digital photography out there, pls give me advice on how to improve my shots, ok party.gif

post-2-1121243220.jpg

Edited by david watt