peekarwe

Enough output from MP3 player for headphones?

Hi all, chanced upon this site just recently and am frankly amazed that there's even a forum dedicated to headphones at all. Anyway, I sort of gave up on headphones couple of years ago after my sony mdr-v5 and senheiser disintegrated and I couldn't get replacement parts for them.

I am now looking out for a new pair, thanks to you guys firing up my lust for personal music refinement again. party.gif

I am looking at either the Sen HD497 or the Philips HP890. But came across the HP1000 last week at the airport. These are rather big cans and I am just wondering if the mp3 players I have can cut it driving them. I have a Muvo NX, which puts out only 11 mW (on website it says 5-7 mW). I also have a Muvo ^2, which puts out a more respectable 30 mW. I currently use a pair of Sony MDR-EX71 for these two players.

Any body has any idea what the headphone output on a typical amplifier can put out? I am using an old very well run in Denon PMA-360 amplifier at home for the past 15 years and they drive my old sens very well.

In which case, your Muvo should have no problem driving these cans. Try it just to be sure.

Edited by Mackie

HI Mackie, thanks for the advise. Just a question. I can crank the volume to the max on the Muvo NX without even stressing the EX71s at all. The output from the small player is weak, to say the least.

With the Muvo ^2, it was better, and cranking it up all the way would be deafness trip. Running them off an amplifier, sound was much smoother and controlled, sounding effortless. The Muvo was straining to drive even earphones. Maybe I am going deaf. headphone.gif

If you're worried about efficiency get the Senn HD497, practically anything can drive them, tight and clear bass included. My 6mW PCDP works well with them, with the average classical music needing about 2/3 the maximum volume.

Compare the efficiency specifications of the headphones, they give a rough idea of the amount of power you need.

If you're worried about efficiency get the Senn HD497, practically anything can drive them, tight and clear bass included. My 6mW PCDP works well with them, with the average classical music needing about 2/3 the maximum volume.

Compare the efficiency specifications of the headphones, they give a rough idea of the amount of power you need.

Hi, I got my setup between the time I posted and now. DT431s and the OBH11. I hook up the setup through Nordost Flatline cables from the MUVO^2 mp3 player. I have to max out the output on the MP3 player and turn the volume knob about 80% on the creek to get a good volume. Kinda disappointed at the output levels but heck, not that I am going to listen much louder than that.

I got another question that I am wondering about now. You see, if I turn up the volume from the MP3 player all the way up to MAX to output to the headamp, am I risking some form of sound breakup? I have a feeling that some of the crackling (very slight) might be due to that rather than the fact that the MP3s are not well encoded.

If I lower the volume output, it doesn't sound loud enough to crackle.

If you ripped them from CD most probably not.

Then again it might not be the headphones crackling (I should say for sure not possible, unless there is something inside the headphones), but it might have got something to do with the clipping of the head out. Beware that the DT431 is very laidback making sound seems softer then they actually are. Take care of your hearing.

tongue.gif Thanks for the advice. You are right, I better adjust my expectation of the phones. At times when the vocals get a bit loud, I do get irritated by the high edge. Very sharp. I can't wait for it to go away. From your experience, I am actually thinking it won't blunt completely. But still, I like the presentation, very very layered kind of music. Solid seperation, pity the vocals mar an otherwise good performance.

Then again, for this kind of money, I better keep my mouth shut. whistling.gif

If you ripped them from CD most probably not.

Then again it might not be the headphones crackling (I should say for sure not possible, unless there is something inside the headphones), but it might have got something to do with the clipping of the head out. Beware that the DT431 is very laidback making sound seems softer then they actually are. Take care of your hearing.

Just confirmed it 10 mins ago. My DT431s are indeed crackling. Tried on the Internal Affairs 2 movie OST. Track 2. Bass heavy. The DT431s were breaking up.

It's not the MP3 player, cos I tried the same track on CD with my CDplayer. So, also means it's not the encoding of the MP3, especially since I ripped it from the CD I have.

It's not the headamp, cos I tried it direct out from the MP3 player. So, also means it's not the headamp clipping.

At low volumes, no crackling, higher (2 oclock on the knob), it starts to crack.

I tried the mp3 player direct out, headamp, CD player using the PX200. No such crackling. I got a lemon.

And I initially thought it's the output from the mp3 player being maxed out causing the problem.

Does Hung Brothers do one to one exchange? It's less than a week old. sad2.gif upset.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. U'd better return the set to Hung asap. U're in luck if they have another set. Otherwise, get ready for a lengthy repair time for parts availability may be low since the model is already superseded. U might wanna consider exchanging this can for another model which is more current.

Edited by Mackie

Ok, I went down to Hung, tested it out on the equipment there, it sounds ok. I think it's probably my equipment and I have been trying to crank it up to acceptable volume (for me) and thus the crackling. Dunno, but I feel that either the mp3 player direct is not powerful enough or the amp (Creek OBH11) is not powerful enough.

Hung was using a rolls 4-way, I wonder.

Did a bit more testing. Errr... this is embarassing, but my laptop has no problems driving the cans. I am runinng a compaq armada, 4 years old. Usually, the volume is loud and I can barely move the bar to 1/3 max volume. Using the DT431, I think need about 2/3 the power to get decent volume.

So, the answer to my original question in this thread is, not enough ouput to drive this pair of DT431, others probably can.

Did you let the moustach guy test for you? Sometimes you need to crank the volume higher in order for the problem to surface.

My dt231 is still with them... no.gif