Sign in to follow this  
beetlez

Is there a 24bit PCDP?

Hi,

Jus curious, we have seen and heard plenty of 24 bit cd player in the Hi Fi modules.

Is there such a thing 24 bit portable CD player? How about any that can do HDCD or SACD?

I am just not that sure about the economical viability behind making such. I am definitely happy if they can come up with a SACD PCDP, I mean, who wouldn't? But the market would be too small.

How can the small little PCDP be good enough to drive anything or feed into any amps or cans? The pple who can afford the accompanying equipment wouldn't buy it cos it has no presence, compared to a CD17SE from marantz, for example. The only market would be "us". laugh.gif

It's akin to asking how come they do not manufacture 18" tyres in grade C compound.

IMHO there's still room for much improvement on PCDPs these days. See the older sonys...

Besides the quality of PCDPs compared to CDP (or rather lack of) means that little benefits would be yielded with SACD and such stuff. IMHO it would be more economical then to improve the "innards" components used for PCDPs. YMMV.

Hmm i don't remember the PCDP have even reach 16 bit ..... correct me if i am wrong ! happy.gif

Most modern PCDPs do not indicate the type of DAC they used nowadays. The older ones from what I know used 1 bit DAC and 8 times oversampling filter (frankly I have no idea what they means), that 1 bit DAC technology probably is still being used in today PCDPs. Some older PCDPs used 2 DACs (2 in number, not 2 bit) and I guess each DAC is to handle signal for 1 channel. From what I have read the single DAC design manages the signals from each channel (left and right) alternately very quickly.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

To the best of my knowledge ALL Disc-People were 16 bit (or higher) until 1991 when the first 1 bit DACs were introduced...

That is how come the oversampling rate is so low... I could do the math here, but i'm sure you guys aren't interested..

I have the following information:

SONY D-555 16bit linear, 8fs digital filter

Technics SL-XP300 8 times over sampling, 18 bit digital filter

I am not electrical or signal processing by training and so do not know what they mean and with reference to today's 24 bit player I do not know are we talking about the same thing or are comparing apple to apple.

Edited by fuwen

Duncan, please share with us with all the mathematics... though i may not fully understand it, but maybe you or someone else can explain it.

Thanks!

Some one has to double check the following and please correct me for the sake of everybody if I'd made a mistake. Really rusty as I've left the engineering field for more than a decade.

cdp A has 16-bit 4 times oversampling:

44,100 x 4 = 176,400 sampling per bit; 16-bit will calculate to 176,400 x 16 = 2,822,400 times/cycle

cdp B has 1-bit 256 times oversampling:

44,100 x 256 x 1 = 11,289,600 times/cycle

cdp C has 18-bit 8 times oversampling:

44,100 X 8 X 18 = 6,350,400 times/cycle