animepower

Can mf x-canv3 power AKG1000 Heaphone

Hear that AKG1000 require a lot of power to drive. Does Anyone have experience

in using Music Fedelity X-cAN v3 to drive ?

Edited by animepower

Hm.....i doubt it. But im not very sure though. Can anyone confirm this? tongue.gif

If the volumn of X-Can V3 when driving Senn HD600 is set around 30% then it may be able to drive the K1000 at 80%.

Quality of sound I cannot comment but think it should be at worst acceptable.

Just ot clarify my previous post that I am NOT sure if V3 can drive HD600 at 30% volumn. But if it can then it should be able to drive the K1000 at about 80% volumn.

Sometimes, even before it gets too loud, the sound starts cracking up already cos the amp can't drive it. Maybe not even the volume.

Beware an underpowered amp does more damage to speakers (may apply to cans too) than an overpowered one, contrary to popular belief. When an amp reaches saturation level, the resultant gross distortion is often a speaker killer.

i read in head-fi that u need an amp that can deliver 35w to the akg1000

I think the 35W is for 8Ohms spks. when driving the 120Ohms k1000, the actual output might be around 1W...

Beware an underpowered amp does more damage to speakers (may apply to cans too) than an overpowered one, contrary to popular belief. When an amp reaches saturation level, the resultant gross distortion is often a speaker killer.

Yep, that's true. But I wonder about the scientific reasoning behind it as well. Does the distortion's audio range usually fall out of the speaker's handling range? Thus causing the damage?

On almost the same reasoning, you should plug out the headphones first before switching off the amp or disconnecting the source. Most modern amps wouldn't have a problem but the resultant spike in voltage might be dangerous to the wellbeing of your cans.

Beware an underpowered amp does more damage to speakers (may apply to cans too) than an overpowered one, contrary to popular belief.  When an amp reaches saturation level, the resultant gross distortion is often a speaker killer.

Yep, that's true. But I wonder about the scientific reasoning behind it as well. Does the distortion's audio range usually fall out of the speaker's handling range? Thus causing the damage?

Lower powered amps w/o enough voltage swing would have it's output saturated most or all the time. The result is a flat voltage output into the speakers/ headphones. That's to say, DC input into the drivers.

As driver coils are meant for AC/ varying frequency pulses, pumping DC into them would cause them to heat up more than they normally would. Hence, they burn up.

Wow. Thanks man, firefox, you just answer a question which I have had for years but never bothered to find out! smile.gif cheers!

Just like the question : "How do they put toothpaste into the tubes such that they come out striped consistently?"

Thread split has been made concerning the discussion about unplugging or leaving headphones plugged into the amp, here.