ablaze

Emu 1212m

this's the current soundcard-flavour-of-the-month on headfi

specs-wise looks good

is it available in Singapore, anyone knows?

EMU 1212M 24Bit 192kHz Balanced PCI Interface (Windows)

The E-MU 1212M Digital Audio System delivers everything you need to produce audio on a PC with professional results - 24-bit/192kHz converters (the same A/D converters used in Digidesign®'s flagship Pro Tools® HD 192 I/O interface), hardware-accelerated effects and mixing, and seamless compatibility with your favorite PC audio/sequencer software.

Whether you are recording full-blown productions or running virtual instruments on a dedicated computer, the E-MU 1212M Digital Audio System is the perfect solution for any application that only requires a couple channels of premium analog I/O (i.e. mastering, remixing and running virtual instruments).

Features

Mastering-grade 24-bit, 192kHz converters - the same A/D converters used in Digidesign®''s flagship Pro Tools® HD I/O Interface

Flexible connectivity with 1/4" balanced analog I/O, 24/192 ADAT I/O and 24/96 S/PDIF I/O, MIDI I/O plus a FireWire® port for seamless integration with your entire studio

E-DSP 32-bit Multi-effects Processor offers you over 16 simultaneous hardware-accelerated studio-grade effects with no CPU overhead - plug-in architecture allows you to add new effects as needed

32 Channels of zero latency Hardware Mixing/ Monitoring with super-flexible virtual patchbay - no external mixer needed

Full compatibility with most popular audio/sequencer applications with ultra-low latency WDM, DirectSound® and ASIO 2.0 Drivers

Powerful software studio package

1212M I/O Configuration

Two 1/4" Balanced Inputs

24-bit/192kHz ADAT In/Out (switchable to S/PDIF)

24-bit/96kHz S/PDIF In/Out (switchable to AES/EBU)

MIDI In/Out

Firewire® Interface

The E-MU 1212M also ships with a comprehensive audio software package.

E-MU’s new Digital Audio Systems deliver everything you need to produce audio on a PC with professional results – 24-bit/192kHz converters, hardware-accelerated effects and mixing, comprehensive sync options and seamless compatibility with your favorite PC audio/sequencer software. E-MU Systems has teamed up with the Creative Advanced Technology Center, a world leader in ASIC and algorithm development for PC audio, to develop the new line of Creative Professional hardware interfaces that stand toe-to-toe with the most advanced and expensive audio systems in the world.

All three Digital Audio Systems ship with a PCI card that features ADAT, S/PDIF and FireWire® interfaces, as well as connectivity to a family of internal and external I/O and sync options. Whether you are recording full-blown productions or running virtual instruments on a dedicated computer, E-MU’s Digital Audio Systems deliver everything needed to create professional-quality music on your PC at a price that will change your expectations of desktop recording forever.

post-10-1089613145.jpg

i would recommend jumping in with Zemo's (from head-fi) powerbuy.

that's where i got mine from. fwiw, the 1212m is a fantastic sounding source.

hey adhoc,

how much did you get it for including shippin?

how's it compare to your other sound cards? (for that matter, WHAT other soundcards have you got? happy.gif )

hi ablaze, i went directly from a audigy 1 to the e-mu. EAC'ed flac files. $332.87.

the difference is, to say the least, frightening. i cant point out any particular one part that sounds better - everything just sounds better. imo my very humble setup might just be about, say 70-80% of a $$$$$ setup like cmk's. happy.gif

i use 96khz upsampling. the one fault of the e-mu is that it doesnt support 88.2khz or 176.4khz (direct-integer-multiple upsampling of 44.1khz) that allows upsampling without so much processing (to remove artifacts associated with non-integer upsampling). however the next soundcard up the line that does support such upsampling is the rme hammerfall @ USD$299. w00t.gif

also, you might want to note that upsampling to 96khz uses about 25% cpu capacity continuously. 192khz about 55% continuously. my system is a 2.53ghz p4, 512mb ram.

That is a lot of cpu resources to dedicate to it...have u compared the sound with foobar upsampling before?

That is a lot of cpu resources to dedicate to it...have u compared the sound with foobar upsampling before?

sampling IS done in foobar2k. cool.gif

For anyone interested, Creative Singapore just luanched E-MU product line locally . It is available at their showroom or online shop under Professional Lines.

a bit complicated. first i use 2 adaptors to convert both 1/4 mono outputs to rca, then use a rca to 1/8 female adaptor.

that setup gets little use though - i'm usually using just the 1/4mono-to-rca and my rca cables, which are connected to my amp. sleep.gif