Sign in to follow this  
wil

Upgrading my portable can/buds

Hello all,

Currently, my portable setup is a muvo2 - A47 amp - E2c/Px200s. For a period of time, i was using the E2cs in this setup and thought they were good. The isolation was superb, with suprisingly good bass with the highs a little muffled (eg rolled off ). That was the E2s with A47 amp.

Before i went into this headphone craze, my setup was the Muvo2 + PX200.

Recently, i tried the Px200 + A47 + Muvo2 and was pleasantly suprised. The PX200s, IMO, when amped are very, very good. I love the bass that it produces! The low-end bass is enough to give me goosebumps. It is very meaty with a nice,organic feel to it. All these without sacrificing the mids and highs ( although at times i wish the treble was a little less rolled-off )

IMO, this E2/A47 setup is a humble yet very satisfying and at times spectacular setup ( Im thinking of selling my E2cs wink.gif )

The thing is, are there any other cans out there ( i think i kinda give-up on ear-canals ; too intrusive and troublesome at times ) which are closed and can better the PX200s?

Hehehe. w00t.gif

Irregardless of budget, I personally favour DT660 (foldable and thus considered portable to some) and DT150. Consider Beyer DT770 if bass volume is all U care at a little compromise in mids-treble. Selection really depends on your preferred music genre.

Heh, Personally, i rather go for something that is low profile. The DT660s are too big and silver to be considered "portable" for me. Ive been looking at 2 cans, the Sony V6s ( 7506s ) and Senn HD25-1s, which seem to make good sense.

FYI, i listen to quite a large range of music from metal ( Anata, Arch enemy,converge ) progressive rock ( Dream theatre ), emo ( Dashboard confessional, Get-up kids ) to Jazz ( Chet Baker, Norah Jones, Lisa Ono, Dave Brubeck ), World ( Ruben Gonzalez ), vocals ( Alison Krauss, Tracy Chapman, Joss stone...) and classical......lol, hiphop at times too.....haha i could go on forever wub.gif

hehe sorry for the senseless ramblings.

Edited by wil

Beyer DT250 is a good alternative to the Sony MDR-7506/V6. You will get a better balance in sound for the varied musical taste you listed. Personally I find it has the closest character in sound to the HD600 (albeit without the details). It's a little more forward sounding. Some find it a little dark sounding but I don't. Sounds much better than the PX200, obviously. Not sure how much they cost now but since the 7506/V6 prices are pretty lofty it might be worth it to stretch to the DT250. I believe Mackie can get you a great deal on them. wink.gif The only drawback is that the don't fold up like the Sonys. Other than that they are more comfortable IMO YMMV because of the softer stock velour earpads. They are just as robust eventhough they're made of plastic.

erm...so how much are the DT250s going for compared to the V6s? ( arent they abit large to be considered portable ? )

heh

They're about the same size as the V6/7506. Even the ear pads are swappable. The headband is really plush. The only thing I find annoying is the plug that connects to the driver, it's a little huge...

Price no idea, Hung Bros maybe got?

DT250.jpg

The thing is, are there any other cans out there ( i think i kinda give-up on ear-canals ; too intrusive and troublesome at times ) which are closed and can better the PX200s?

For my taste and according to my experience, nothing come close to the ATH-EW9 wood 'clip on' for the price range SGD 200.-. yes.gif

I tried PX-200, they are not as open as the EW9, and EW9 excels in all sections, better and bigger bass, warm mid, open sounding highs. Anyway it is not fair to compare both of them because of the price different. headphone.gif

U're right......... PX200 costs half of ATH-EW9 and hence it's not an apple vs apple comparison. Pit the latter against Sony MDR-V6/7506 ($160-200) and perhaps Grado SR80 with the same source and amp. I would call that a fair shootout. Increase another $50 and Beyer DT440 comes into the picture amongst others. See how easy it is to stray from original intention? The Bug bites hard! wacko.giftongue.gif

Still not a apple to apple comparison size wise wink.gif They are not clip-on or medium size diaphragm. They are large size tongue.gif So it is a small apple to big apple comparison wacko.gif

For medium size (portable), do you know any other model that sounds good?

For medium size (portable), do you know any other model that sounds goods

I tend to classify each gear in its price category, followed by convenience/portability, isolation and sound quality in this case. Some can accept a Grado (little isolation) and I personally use Sony MDR-V6 or Beyer DT660 (both are medium-large sized closed-back) if not Sony EX70 (in-canal ear bud) or Koss KCS35 (open-back ear clip) while on the move. Hence, one can see what's portable to me may be resticted to home systems by some.

In which case, EX70 gives the best balance of isolation, portability and sound. Sony V6 and Beyer DT660 for sound and isolation but less on portability. KSC35 for sound and portability but poorer in terms of isolation. I reckon an in-depth understanding of one's preference under these conditions will be useful for him/her to make a sound decision.

A case study with price bracket as the common factor. Both KSC35 and EX70 costs below S$100 and the former is deemed a "bigger apple" but lacks isolation relative to the latter. Both are equally portable but KSC35 has superior sound quality over EX70. Which is better? It is not totally obvious as the deciding factor lies with the user's environment during usage.

Hope all this blabber is helpful.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks for the 'blabber' tongue.gif

I'dont really need isolation, since I don't listen to music in noisy area. Normally at home or in the office, so I still would like to hear when somebody call me happy.gif

I will advice my friends to try KSC35.

Thanks for the 'blabber' tongue.gif

I'dont really need isolation, since I don't listen to music in noisy area. Normally at home or in the office, so I still would like to hear when somebody call me happy.gif

I will advice my friends to try KSC35.

the thing is, with the 35s, other pple can hear them... it's not very considerate, esp in the office. wait... how come u got the time to listen to music in the office??? tongue.gif

that's a major reason y i wana upgrade, i get pple staring at me when im on the bus w/ my beloved 35s.