breakneck

breaking in cans...

juz wondering how long does it take to break in a pair a headphone???and should it be in high volume???sorry if this sound like a newbie question...

Ever wondered why it's called, breaking in, burning in or running in? I can understand the term running in but the other 2 sounds odd.

burn-in is used as a technical term because sometimes the devices have to undergo high temperature baking ... baking -> burning, so I guess that's how it comes by.

Breaking-in sounds more like burglary though ...

Edited by Northern Oak

i think Burn-in is an industrial process to allow the electronics of an equipment to continue operating under certain specified conditions (temperature, pressure and relative humidity) so that its reliability measurement will move to the flat portion (ie. steady state) of the famous "Bath-tub" curve. This would ensure that the final users or consumers will experience the steady-state performance of the equipment during normal use.

For definition on Run-in, please refer to the well discussed "infamous" thread started by Rameish.

For Breaking-in, it refers to one audiophile or cansphile going to a friend's home to test his hi-fi or headphone system with some high-grade audiophile discs. During the process, the friend's system is made to suffer so that his confidence on the system that he has spent money and time nurturing collapses completely. Next, he then shows his friend how a better sound system should look and sound like, and this results in the friend having to fork out $$ to buy new, more expensive system and then sell him cheap his existing "under-performance" system. This process is called Beaking-in. wink.gif

Hi Oak,

Actually my last paragraph there was meant to be a joke, just to commemorate my month's old learning and sharing in this interesting, cordial and helpful forum. And i particularly enjoy the very funny and meaningful emoticons created by N@Z and ablaze.

yeah.gifthumbup1.gifkissing.gifhug.gifjump.gifw00t.gifwink.gif

glad you're enjoying the place, tee. I'm the one responsible for the behind the scenes upkeep of this place, including the selection of silly smilies. but they do brighten up the atmosphere of the place don't they? happy.gif

N@Z's the 'police' around here. dont' fool around if he's watching! hehe whistling.gif

For Breaking-in, it refers to one audiophile or cansphile going to a friend's home to test his hi-fi or headphone system with some high-grade audiophile discs. During the process, the friend's system is made to suffer so that his confidence on the system that he has spent money and time nurturing collapses completely. Next, he then shows his friend how a better sound system should look and sound like, and this results in the friend having to fork out $$ to buy new, more expensive system and then sell him cheap his existing "under-performance" system. This process is called Beaking-in. wink.gif

tee,

Very cheeky of U but creative nevertheless! party.gif

Btw, what U said is true. This always happens during pow wow sessions. I personally find it quite insensitive to the host. After all, sound and music are all subjective and different hobbists have different yardsticks in audiophilia owing to space, economics and preference. There's no absolute rights and wrongs but we can help one another with the do and don'ts though.

Edited by Mackie

Hi Oak,

Actually my last paragraph there was meant to be a joke, just to commemorate my month's old learning and sharing in this interesting, cordial and helpful forum. And i particularly enjoy the very funny and meaningful emoticons created by N@Z and ablaze.

yeah.gifthumbup1.gifkissing.gifhug.gifjump.gifw00t.gifwink.gif

Yes, tee, I was referring to the humourous way that you have used to describe breaking-in.

Thanks ablaze, Mackie and Oak. From your unique designs and ideas, i could sense the strong creativities that are prevailing in you and others in this forum. And this platform is like lifeline or H2O to cansphile like us, quenching our thirst for new gears or ideas while saving our mistakes in matching new systems or DIY projects. However, unlike a water filtration system, we will let all fresh, unconventional and untested ideas and particles (should be "articles") to pass thru'. Right ? no censorship ?? wink.gif

'Nominated' police I might add... box.gif you have ablaze to thank for all the technical aspects of the forum. yeah.gif

One big round of applause for you, ablaze party.gifyeah.gifthumbup1.gifkicking.gif

Meanwhile, we are waiting eagerly for your new headamp to appear. wink.gif