Sign in to follow this  
mirage

Advice on canal earphones for 4G ipod

Looking to get some canal earphones for my 4G ipod, and have my eyes set on the upcoming etymotic e6i or the shures e3c, can anyone advice me between the two? Looking to use them without an amp...

I understand that since the e6i are not out yet, a direct comparison is not possible, hence would like to seek the views of pple who have had the opportunity to use the e3c before.

Also, are there any shops in SLS where I can audition the e3c?

From what I gather on headfi, the new ety e6i is the same as the old e6 with cosmetic changes.

I tried the e3c during a meet and found that they are muddy compared to the etys 4. Of course they are of a different price range but I guess the house sound is still there.

I haven't tried the e6 yet so I can't compare. But there is a e6 for sale at the classifieds.

Same problem here my friend. You could check this link out. IMHO it's one of the more comprehensive and detailed comparisons that I found.

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=shure

BTW, if you decide to get the E3C let me know. Maybe we can get it cheaper.

As for auditioning, I don't think any shops in SLS allow that because of health reasons. Moreover, I think due to the price they do not keep extra stock for these babies.

Happy reading. biggrin.gif

From what I had gathered at Headfi, the e6i has more than cosmetic changes in it... There's a thread on it where some guy from Etymotic Research responded on it, cant link the thread for you but it's around, supposedly the e6i is bassier now...

As for e3c I am worried that they will turn up muddy like evil-zen has mentioned, and some in Headfi even mentioned that there seems to be a "veil" in the music coming from the e3cs, this has set me to thinking twice...

Headroom seems to have a discount for the e6, they are going for USD$99 the last time Ive checked... Headache man...

Yes, ER-6i is intended to be more bassy than the ER-6. It is also "limited edition" and comes with the tri-flange tips (not too sure about these, but the site compares the isolation of ER-6 and ER-6i with 2-flange, foam; 3-flange and foam tips respectively).

E3c is going for USD122 (excl shipping) at Earphonesolutions.com with coupon code F122E3 during checkout. This offer expires August 22nd and is from iPodlounge. Shipping costs another USD28-38. Comes with 2-year warranty + 30-day return. More headaches for you tongue.gif

Yes, ER-6i is intended to be more bassy than the ER-6. It is also "limited edition" and comes with the tri-flange tips (not too sure about these, but the site compares the isolation of ER-6 and ER-6i with 2-flange, foam; 3-flange and foam tips respectively).

E3c is going for USD122 (excl shipping) at Earphonesolutions.com with coupon code F122E3 during checkout. This offer expires August 22nd and is from iPodlounge. Shipping costs another USD28-38. Comes with 2-year warranty + 30-day return. More headaches for you tongue.gif

I KNOW THAT!! That's why I am comparing between these two since the prices are so similar now... man, mebbe i shld just go the cheaper way and get me the sharp md33s...

Just get the E5C's biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am serioulsy seriously contemplating getting these babies. Supposed to be better than the Ety4P's and everything. But dunno if it is worth that hefty price tag it comes with.

I feel the need to point out that most people I know who bought the E3 or ER6 ended up exchanging them for ER4Ps. tongue.gif The ER4P is also much easier to drive out of any headphone jack unamped compared to the ER6(and it looks nicer too).

Edited by av98m

portables seldom have problem driving canalphones because of their efficiency (dB/mW). The only concern is how much it will improve with amping. But with my limited experiecen with these canalphones (ER-4 & E1c wub.gif ), IMO, amping does not improve them as much as i'd expect.

The whole point is whether you think you will upgrade eventually. If you will, just save the trouble and get ER-4P straight.

OTOH er-4 and shures have different signatures (IMO, with the exception of E1), so you can ask if some helpful members here are willing to let you audition their phones.

Note: trying out is almost a must because not all people can get used to canalphones due to the comfort issue for some, and also the in-head lack-of-air sound. Unless of course you get them 2nd hand, so if you don't like you can sell at almost no loss.

Edited by lekguan

dun think i will be wanting an upgrade anything soon.. What im getting will be sticking with me for the next few years at least...

But with my limited experiecen with these canalphones (ER-4 & E1c wub.gif ), IMO, amping does not improve them as much as i'd expect.

The whole point is whether you think you will upgrade eventually. If you will, just save the trouble and get ER-4P straight.

IMHO the ER-4S's does improve quite substantially with an amp, esp. in the bass departmen (which etys are well-known to be lacking in), though for portable use, it's not really that important.

Indeed, I was one of those who upgraded from the ER-6's to ER-4's, and my advice would be to skip the ER-6's and save up till you can get the ER-4's, 'cos upgraditis strikes often and hard. Besides the performance is definitely worth the price difference. Alternatively, you might want to get the ER-6's second hand for the time being with your budget and see if you like them.

Just my 2 cents worth. wink.gif

Can the ear tip of ER4 or ER6 be inter-changed into a foam tip instead of the in-ear canal tip?

Been told that the in-ear canal tip can cause irritating transmitted noises when the cable rubbed against the clothing. If can be interchangable, it will be best of both world. Foam tip for jogging and in-ear canal tip for travelling.