Sign in to follow this  
mirage

Advice on canal earphones for 4G ipod

Yes, the foam and tri-flange tips are inter-changeable, but both go into your canal (hence in-canal), just that the foam tips should be more comfortable. The cord noises or microphonics are independent of what tips are used, tri-flange or foam, so I think you are mistaken if you think you can go jogging with the foam tip and eliminate all cord noises and occlusion effects. In fact I would say that they are not the best phones to go jogging with, apart from the reason of microphonics, but also safety concerns (you might not be able to hear what's happening around you).

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Absolute0

I concur, etys are not suitable for use when active movement is involved regardless of what tips you use because the occlusion effects are quite noticeable. There are ways to avoid/reduce it but it may be too tedious. I simply wrap the cord around my ears it helps to reduce it & used inconjunction with the supplied shirt-clip will near eliminate it.

The problem with running, whether microphonics is present or not, is the occlusion effect. This is inherent with all isolating cans. Even with the full sized cans.

The new er4 has braided cable which is supposed to reduce microphonics.

To put it simply, for running, the best is to use open cans.

It seems that the Etys are more susceptible to microphonics.

Apparently the etys with braided cable have reduced microphonics by a fair bit, and if you follow Naz's method of wrapping the cord around your ears and using the shirt-clip, it should be fine. I haven't tried the Shures, but I believe like lekguan said, both will suffer from the occlusion effect.

I think occlusion is not so bad on most closed cans to deter users from using them while jogging, take for example the PX200. The problem becomes significant with most, if not all, canal-phones though due to the complete seal.

For safety reasons, I strongly feel that canalphones should not be worn while engaging in activities like jogging/running, esp if you run on the pavement along the main roads. Singaporeans drive like maniacs and cyclists ride like maniacs on pavements meant for pedestrians only. If you run at east coast then you have roller bladers and cyclists as the main threats to your safety. Indoor on a threadmill or stadium running track it should be fine I guess.

try out the shure e1cs. =) i have those and they are really good. you can do whatever you want with those on and you won't hear a single scratchy sound due to microphonics. =) don't get the e2cs. their microphonics effect is rather bad. haven't tried the e5cs and the e3cs so no comments on those. =) i love my e1cs..look retro too..hahah..braided cable.

E1c is not available anymore, and very few shops have any remaining stock, so you may have limited options unless you're willing to go 2nd hand.

Based on the canalphones I have tried, I rate them as follows (occlusion effect only):

Ety ER4S (Worst) -> Ety ER6 (nearly as bad as E4S) -> Shure E5 (some) -> Shure E3 ( a little bit if any)

So if I had to choose a canalphone where alot of active movement is involved & minimal interference is required, I'd go for the E3 (not taking into account of sound quality). If sound quality & unamped is the criteria I strongly recommend the E5. You can still have some movement without it causing too much annoyance however there is the small matter of the cost. Think of it this way, if you had to buy other canalphones with a decent amp you would have spend close to that much anyway. Finally, if ultimate sound quality is the only criteria, ER4S with a SuperMini, SuperMicro or Superdual can't be beat.

However do heed av98m's warning about using canalphones in public, it will be dangerous because you can hardly hear any ambient sound/noise at all with music playing.

Based on the canalphones I have tried, I rate them as follows (occlusion effect only):

Ety ER4S (Worst) -> Ety ER6 (nearly as bad as E4S) -> Shure E5 (some) -> Shure E3 ( a little bit if any)

So if I had to choose a canalphone where alot of active movement is involved & minimal interference is required, I'd go for the E3 (not taking into account of sound quality). If sound quality & unamped is the criteria I strongly recommend the E5. You can still have some movement without it causing too much annoyance however there is the small matter of the cost. Think of it this way, if you had to buy other canalphones with a decent amp you would have spend close to that much anyway. Finally, if ultimate sound quality is the only criteria, ER4S with a SuperMini, SuperMicro or Superdual can't be beat.

However do heed av98m's warning about using canalphones in public, it will be dangerous because you can hardly hear any ambient sound/noise at all with music playing.

Are the E5's really that good, cos I am seriously considering to get me a pair for my Ipods. Have e-mailed to Idealsounds since last week for their price but no reply yet.

I listen to a variety of songs, except classical, trance and gangsta rap. Would they be suitable?

How good they are for you depends on quite a few things:

1. Sound quality - what are your preferences, what headphones you have used before & what you expect from that fairly big sum of money. I like to think that the cost of the E5 are compensated by the fact that from portable players that have decent headphone out sound, an amp is not absolutely necessary. If you can afford it, hey why not?

2. Comfort/fit - Some people will have issues with the comfort whereas others like myself can easily adapt to it after only less than a week of use. If you can't get comfortable with it you won't be able to fully enjoy the music.

3. Seal/Fit - Again, alot depends on the seal/fit. Get it wrong & it can sound no better than earbuds. Once you get the hang of it, putting it on becomes 2nd nature & merely takes a couple of seconds.

Try sending a follow up email to idealsounds. Sometimes they need a little push to get them going. If you are a member on Head-Fi quote your ID as that helps as well, especially if you are an active member.

I listen to a fairly wide variety of music as well & even use the E5 on my portable radio so I don't think it will have a problem playing most music.

How good they are for you depends on quite a few things:

1. Sound quality - what are your preferences, what headphones you have used before & what you expect from that fairly big sum of money. I like to think that the cost of the E5 are compensated by the fact that from portable players that have decent headphone out sound, an amp is not absolutely necessary. If you can afford it, hey why not?

2. Comfort/fit - Some people will have issues with the comfort whereas others like myself can easily adapt to it after only less than a week of use. If you can't get comfortable with it you won't be able to fully enjoy the music.

3. Seal/Fit - Again, alot depends on the seal/fit. Get it wrong & it can sound no better than earbuds. Once you get the hang of it, putting it on becomes 2nd nature & merely takes a couple of seconds.

Try sending a follow up email to idealsounds. Sometimes they need a little push to get them going. If you are a member on Head-Fi quote your ID as that helps as well, especially if you are an active member.

I listen to a fairly wide variety of music as well & even use the E5 on my portable radio so I don't think it will have a problem playing most music.

Thanks for your reply.

1) Sound quality - must not be too bassy (thumping bass) and can't totally be without any bass. Also listen to songs with lotsa stringed instruments (acoustics). So I guess clarity but not to the point that it is not dynamic. Would the E3C be enough?

As for the other points, I alreday know about that.

I previously used earbuds supplied by Apple and also a Senn PX200.

I travel a lot on the MRT and buses, so I am looking for something that can get all the outside noise away without being too bulky.