Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Sennheiser HD650

6 of us have just become proud owners of the abovementioned. Our heartfelt thanks to renderfarms. As yet, I'm burning in the cans relentlessly. After about 3 days or so, it sounds pretty good via SACD playback but expectedly a tad closed-in and muffled on redbook cd playback. Looks like this will be another Beyer DT880 which requires 500 hours or so to sound optimal.

What's your experience so far?

Edited by Mackie

Congratulations!

What amp you use to drive it? 500 hours... ohmy.gif that's a very long burning period blink.gif Is it the can become better sounding or our ears that finaly get used to it tongue.gif

Definitely not psychological. Many have discovered how long a pair of DT880 needed to run in before sounding optimal. Best part of it all, most discovered it by chance. I remembered evil-zen was pleasantly surprised.

Well, I have tried the 650 with Original Master (bed-side) and Audiovalve RKV MKII (music room) but not critically. I was also surprised how much ease and quality oozed out of the headphone socket on Marantz SA8260 through the 650.

Edited by Mackie

I am still running in the cans with my Marantz SR8300. I used the XLO burn-in track on continous repeat mode for about 6 hours. I have not really done any critical listening at the moment but hopefully I can do it this weekend.

Will use my other cans(HP890/HD497) for the A-B testing.

You wouldn't even need to A/B tongue.gif

You might want to consider using a cheap hifi set or PC for the burn in or else you would be just burning off the life of the player (esp laser) considering HD650 needs some 500 hours to fully burn in...

Finally got to hear it today! Here are some short impressions:

It sounded absolutely remarkable - great details, separation, staging and balance, but has some difficulty reaching the lowest bass notes, which takes away the fun from those rock tracks which can go really low. The HD600 (fully burnt in with >500 hours) actually had more bass extension, but overall, the bass from the HD650 was slightly tighter and better controlled. Hopefully some burn in helps with the low bass.

I was using it with the Zu Mobius and a PPA btw, and it is indeed a substantial (in the sense that it is clearly audible, not subtle to the extent that you have to A/B and listen closely) improvement over the HD600. But I would say that there is little change in the sound signature (the sennheiser house sound). If you love the HD600, you would very likely love the HD650 even more. Highly recommended!

P.S. Thanks to renderfarms and Mackie for the successful powerbuy!

Hi Lekguan, that is a good idea. Will try that.

Absolute0, can you tell me how did you unplug the cable of the HD650? Is there a special technique?

Mine is so tight that I am afraid that I will destroy the cable if I pull it too tightly.

Thanks.

I didn't unplug the cable, a friend did. From what I heard from him, you might want to use pliers and not worry too much about destroying the cables. But proceed at your own risk. cool.gif

I do have problem unplugging the headphone cable connectors for the first time both for the HD600 and the HD650. Try with strength 2 fingers holding very tightly the cable plug and the other hand supporting the headphone(not the headphone head band!) firmly. i do not think need to resort to using pliers. Good luck! U may need at least 15 minutes of trial and error.

Edited by fuwen

As yet, I have not come to terms with all the attributes that make the 650 costs so much over 600 and that of my Beyer collection. Only on classical music do I get my money worth with its strong sense of presence and layering. Otherwise, bass extension has yet to meet the standard of Beyer DT880; upper bass matches that of DT150 and slightly rounder; mid range probably on par with DT860 and finally, highs and treble extension are a tad lacking relative to DT880/990 but definitely more pleasant owing to a slight roll-off.

However, mileage does extend for the price we paid at the power buy and 650 is potentially a can for all genres. I see it gaining superiority over many contenders once bass and treble extensions improve. If only the 650 were priced at S$500, then it would warrant a no-brainer recommendation for those who listens to a wide repertoire but seeks only one pair of cans. Performance of 650 after the 500-hour burn-in mark is crucial and I'm eagerly waiting for that moment.

Edited by Mackie

As yet, I have not come to terms with all the attributes that make the 650 costs so much over 600 and that of my Beyer collection. Only on classical music do I get my money worth with its strong sense of presence and layering. Otherwise, bass extension has yet to meet the standard of Beyer DT880; upper bass matches that of DT150 and slightly rounder; mid range probably on par with DT860 and finally, highs and treble extension are a tad lacking relative to DT880/990 but definitely more pleasant owing to a slight roll-off.

However, mileage does extend for the price we paid at the power buy and 650 is potentially a can for all genres. I see it gaining superiority over many contenders once bass and treble extensions improve. If only the 650 were priced at S$500, then it would warrant a no-brainer recommendation for those who listens to a wide repertoire but seeks only one pair of cans. Performance of 650 after the 500-hour burn-in mark is crucial and I'm eagerly waiting for that moment.

My HD650 has more than 500hrs, However I still doubtt that the HD650 will be a cans for all genres of music. One thing for sure is that the HD650 cannot present rock music as well as the grados. Even for new age music, I prefer my HD600 with the Equinox, as it has a bigger "soundstage.

Currently my HD650 is only used for vocals and jazz. As for the problem with the recessed treble, you definately need more than 500 hrs of burn in and a cable change. The Zu Mobius does bring out the treble more as compared with the Equinox. YMMV

As yet, I have not come to terms with all the attributes that make the 650 costs so much over 600 and that of my Beyer collection. Only on classical music do I get my money worth with its strong sense of presence and layering.

After hearing both the HD650 and its predecessor, HD600, I do agree that the price difference is difficult to justify, which is why it put me off upgrading for a while despite all the hype on Head-fi. It was only when I saw the power buy that I jumped on the deal, and I think for the price we paid, it would be difficult to beat as a set of "multi-genre" cans.

Of course there would be better cans for each genre, say Grados for rock as widely acknowledged, but the HD650 excels in most genres in its own right, especially in classical and jazz which has always been the HD 580/6X0's forte. I think I am pretty satisfied with my current setup and would like the maintain the status quo (and give my wallet a break) for now.

An aftermarket cable supposedly makes quite a marked difference, although I can't say for sure as I haven't heard the HD650 with the stock cable. What I do know is that the HD600 improved a great deal with the Zu Mobius over the cardas. But the Zu Mobius of course comes at a premium and I believe not all would be willing to invest so heavily in a headphone cable. Btw, Has anyone heard the Silver Dragon with the HD650?

Ahh... Welcome to "TEAM BARGAIN HUNTERS"!!!

Now you know what I feel.

Enjoy your new toys guys. Lets hear more first hand comparisions. Having heard the HD650 I personally still prefer my HD600 with the Clou Red cables.

Btw, Has anyone heard the Silver Dragon with the HD650?

Give me a few more weeks, having one made. headphone.gif

IMHO HD650 is less laid back then HD600, the bass is tighter and less booming, but the highs are rolled off and actually not to my liking, but managed to solve with the Clou-red cable. Personally I think HD650 is better so it is on my home main rig and the HD600 is now in my office.