Sign in to follow this  
Techaddict

Questions on Headphone/Earbuds etc

I would like to know on the average , how long can your headphones/ earbuds etc last before giving you any problems?

I've spent a lot of money replacing spoilt headphones/ earbuds .I realised that most headphones/ earbuds are made to be very flimsy and most of them work only for a few months before the sound from either side went off, I suspect it's the weak joints at the jack giving the problem.

Do u have any good suggestions or can recommend me any longlasting headphones/ earbuds ? I see no sense in spending a couple of hundreds bucks on some headphones/ earbuds just to see it spoilt after a few miserable months!

sad2.gif

Which cans/buds have you used that were giving you problems? Generally, a pair of good cans/buds last very long (in terms of years and not months).

On choosing the cans, which genre of music do you like to listen to? And what source do you use? Will it be for a home rig or a portable rig? Is isolation important?

Most importantly, what's your budget?

Exactly what sort of headphones have you been buying prior to this? I agree with Sigma, most of the (major name brand) headphones I've bought have never given me any problems within a space of a few months. You'd have to be really complaicent to damage them. The only headphones I usually had problems with were the cheap ones that came supplied with portable players. Even the cheapest earbuds I got (Senn MX400) lasted me fairly long (before it got stolen). I even used it while in bed & often fell asleep with them on. My wife also uses a pair of (2nd hand) Sony MDR-E888 which are generally seen as fairly flimsy. She doesn't take care of it as much as I would my stuff & it has proved to be reliable so far.

the only pair of earphone that broke was a pair of sony e868. it has the same construction as e888 and i managed to use it almost on a daily basis until it went mute on the left side 4 years later. the other earphones i had are all working.

Just be more gentle to them. Or else nothing will last long.

More often that not, it's the user that is at fault. I've noticed during train rides many users treated their ear buds rather carelessly. For instance, most did not coil the wires properly while storing away the ear buds and merely stuffed them in their bags. This could result in breakage of the usually very thin conductor wires. I've also seen how some wanked at the wires to remove their ear buds.

I feel so guilty .. I did exactly all mackiee had mentioned blush.gifblush.gif ..

but till now still going strong mm.. maybe just the e888's foam need replacement sleep.gif

Edited by Blues

I think you really need to be a "violent†person to hurt an eargear, violently pull you portable eargear out of your bag and violently stuff it back into the bag. My Senn PX200 is about 4-5months old, it’s going strong. I'm a gentleman. tongue.gif

I'm using Sony "Fontpia" series earsbuds, thats giving the "deaf-on-one-side" problem.

I felt guilty after reading Makie's post! sad2.gif Yes, I din really stow it properly in the case after every use, but I was never a headphone-abuser, I 'm a casual user, giving it the fair treatment of the ruggedness in life, but i never yank the poor jack by the cord! I listen to all genre of music, but i love deep heartpounding bass and punishing guitar solos.

The last durable headphones that i remembered served me well was a budget Sony Studio monitor. I used it on the bus everyday listening on drum-blasting volume on a PCDP in the early 90s right thru the 2000 until I lost it! sad2.gif

I've lost so much faith in earbuds, that starting today, I'm a happy owner/enjoyer of a Senn PX200. Though, somehow, it sounded not as loud as a "camo"-design cans, that i've tried there ( jade shop), but the PX200 sounds good on Funk- "Jamiroquai- Little'L". I could definitely hear stuffs that I've missed out previously with cheapbuds. I wonder how it sounds with live concerts, instrumental, and vocals.

I really love the sound of live gigs/concerts, does anyone know which cans manage to duplicate the effects as close as possible?

Thanks to all your advice!

Cheers!~~

Does anyone has any good recommendation on good cans for "live gigs/concerts" types of sound quality?

thks

Does anyone has any good recommendation on good cans for "live gigs/concerts" types of sound quality?

thks

Kinda mind boggling to me............are U asking for cans that are to be used during live gigs/concerts or cans that can present the quality and energy of these events from your home system?

If it's the former, U should look at pro monitors eg Sony MDR-7506/V6, Beyer DT150, AKG etc. If it's the latter, no speakers let alone cans, can sound like live concerts for the overall ambience is largely dependent on acoustics of venue. U might be able to get closer thru home theater setups but still far from the real thing relatively speaking. I would suggest looking for cans that are true to the music ie, as neutral sounding as possible or one that exudes the kinda sound U prefer.

Edited by Mackie

I would say the Grados grado.gif

Most people I met, when they try Grado for the first time, they said something similar... They said they hear more detail which they never heard before on their familiar tracks. Some reviewers also said the same thing. If you love bass, and lively sounding headphone, try the Grados.

Thks for all your suggestions!

Any recommendations for a mid-range priced Bass-king headphones? Miss those heart-pumping bass i experienced when throwing a granade , actually i love the sound so much i've the urge to remove my earplugs to savour every bit of deep deep bass!

cool.gif

Seems like the Beyerdynamic DT-770 might be your cup of tea. I'm sure there's no debate that it is the "bass king" in terms of bass output, though not necessarily bass quality.

Dt770, dt150, sony v6

all can 'rock' u ..(literally) ohmy.gif ..

tongue.gif

Talking about DT770, behold a new version with volume control and supposedly sounds a bit different. I was told it has bigger bass and those who have heard the first version will know it already has lot of bass bang! Incidentally, it will arrive together with fox's DT990.

Edited by Mackie