Sign in to follow this  
Guest drumma

Portable headphone amp

An amazing little... nay, tiny headphone amp that can sound nearly as good as my Portable META...

you really should give his amps a listen...

Very interesting, I would love to try it yes.gif I must say that I should learn more about it, how to make good sound in small size happy.gif

HOws the amp selling in this site?? Which Cap and op-Amp use is better?? which one is better suit for my Grado SR80.. if i want to tame down the high and increase the bass level??

You can check Tangent's site, about the Notes for Audio Op-Amp, or my small review of various Op-Amp I tested:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2628

You better check DIY forum to get more info.

About local DIY amp, I see we have a few approaches:

1. A complete amp for those who don't do DIY.

2. Just a PCB for those who can do DIY, or want to start to do DIY (carefull it is addictive yes.gif ).

3. Only guidance, for those who want to make it 100% by himself.

And about the amp itself, there are three major common design:

1. CMoy, mostly depend on the Op-Amp capability. Good or bad depend on the Op-Amp you choose for specific headphone. Normally cost around SGD 25 - 50 depend on the component selection (can be less can be more).

2. A47, Jason has started budget amp with this configuration. Check:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2400

3. Jung's multiloop, like Pimeta and PPA. I cannot call it budget amp, as the buffers are costly, anyway it is depend on the how much is max cost for budget amp.

Probably we can start interest check for it wink.gif

As I see most of the DIYers are busy people, so please, no rush happy.gif

Edited by bpribadi

Guest drumma

i think i'll choose the second and third approach.. want to start doing DIY and need guidance!

U can seek help from other DIYers in the DIY forum =p for e.g, dreamie is a great tutor and he did teach me a lot of things =p He will be eager to help you out yes.gifyes.gif

Guest drumma

let's start this thread over again?

anyone interested in a group buy for a portable headphone amp? pls suggest some models? thanks.

Go-vibe looks pretty interesting to me.

I'm probably getting one from Norm before I return to Singapore at the end of Oct. biggrin.gif

Oh, by the way...does anyone know if I can get Plainviews in Singapore? Or perhaps any other good found-in-Singapore brands....

Edited by vance

AFAIK, you can't get plainviews in Singapore so it might be good to order them from Norm. GP batteries are the most common locally, but they aren't 9V. I remember mention of alternatives available locally on this forum, you might want to do a search.

Stryder, if you look closely, they are actually rated at 8.4V. The plainviews are 9.6V.

They are 9V replacement, and do work, except that plainviews tend to provide more weight to the cans due to the extra 1.2V.