Sign in to follow this  
Guest drumma

Portable headphone amp

Yeap you are right! It is the small size that makes it expensive yes.gif

If not for the size, that amp is very expensive wink.gif But be aware, low voltage supply, small caps, theorytically you have to consider the sound quality. You know capacitor, there is no high capacity capacitor in small size...

I read they even use the switching regulator to pump up the voltage supply... and you now that this kind of switching mode regulator is not recommended for audio.

So for small size, you got to sacrifice sound quality and money... Worth it or not it is up to you wink.gif

Forget the theory for one moment, have you heard the SuperMini, Micro & Duals to know what those tiny amps are capable of? Proof of the pudding as they say is in the listening.

have you heard the SuperMini, Micro & Duals...

Not yet, you are right, I'm not supposed to judge, sorry for that happy.gif

But if I wanna buy, and got no chance to try, my consideration would rely on theory... sometimes cannot rely on other people review since they might have different taste and experience than us.

I would love to hear those minis if get chance yes.gif

Anyway, have you?

Of course, I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't.

Not just heard but owned: SuperMini version 3.1, an early SuperMicro & a fairly recent SuperDual. They really suit the canal phones the best. The SuperMicro was the biggest revelation for me. An amazing little... nay, tiny headphone amp that can sound nearly as good as my Portable META with the same AD8620 opa & Dual stacked EL2001 buffers per channel. Built in with, an effective digital volume control, Xinfeed (subtle crossfeed), P->S converter for (Ety ER-4P) & a single AAA battery. It's capable of driving full sized headphones with difficult loads but obviously it won't make it shine but that is not it's intended application. Hence where the SuperMono comes in.

Dr. Xin really has a knack for miniaturising things, you really should give his amps a listen. He was a rocket scientist to begin with! To quote him roughly, the size of his amps does not compromise the sound quality much as he uses self-designed advanced circuitry to overcome size limitations. Of course he acknowledges that he can built better-sounding and bigger amps, but that would make him no different from most other amp builders, and tiny-small amps are where his niche area lies. And considering what it might be capable of sonically (claimed to rival PPAs and branded a competitor of the SR-71), the research, design and labour, it is not that expensive. As Naz rightfully pointed out, it's not just about the parts. YMMV.

I didnt know he was a rocket scientist before... Boy did NASA lose one heck of a scientist!

Ive heard the supermicro during a previous meet...amazing lil device.

Interesting thread also coincidently going on in here. It appears we are going in a slightly different tangent, if the original thread poster so wishes I can split the thread.

go superdual/micro if u can find it...or wait abit and save yer money for the supermono

drumma, if you plan to use the HD600 or equivalent high impedance headphones then I suggest you wait for the SuperMono.

However, the cheaper (but very good quality) alternative is to get someone here to build you the cheaper but more flexible Grado RA1 Clone. It will be bigger than the SuperMono (2x 9V batteries & huge capacitors) but still portable & you are able to use it with a wider variety of headphones. The threads concerning this should be in the DIY forum. IMO (in my opinion), this would be the better route if you are just starting in headphones & feel a little wary about spending so much so soon.

Can't say as the site appears to be new.

It's been mentioned before elsewhere but maybe it's good to reiterate it now & again. For the CMOY design headphone amp (or clone or any other designs) maybe it would be more cost effective for people to consider the local DIYers here (i.e. save on shipping cost). If the DIYers are willing (and agreed by the other mods & members here), we can make a sticky listing the guys that are willing to do this for an unspecified fee (subject to individual negotiations & specifications required by the potential buyer).

good idea. its has the benefits:_

1. we got database on DIYers.

2. People can make comments on the particular DIYers., just like buyer/seller feedback.

3. Easy reference for the would be buyers.

4. It also benefit the DIYer as they may become reputable.

5. More potential business for the DIYer.

That all i can think of at the moment...

i second that idea, naz!!! how?

Assuming there are no objections to it. I'll PM the usual suspects whether they would be interested. Subsequent to that I'll post a seperate sticky thread, either in the Classifieds or DIY forum.