Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

is grado sr80 better than px200 in terms of detail

Payaya, knowing the sonic areas which U hope your amp will improve on is a good start for it will take U merely minutes or an hour to realise if the particular amp is right for U. Don't forget source plays a big part in your decision. If it's compressed music format like MP3, risk of making an error in your final selection is much higher than say, CD playback on pcdp.

No amp can enchance details if it ain't there nor tame harshess to a significant degree if both these traits pervade in the source. Simply garbage in, garbage out - GIGO. There's always trade offs. For instance, tighter bass could result in limited bass weight and extension; reduced harshness at the amplification stage when the source is to blame suggests roll-off in treble extension. Digital glare and brightness are often perceived as greater details. The amp which fulfills your aforementioned requirement may sound dreadful if there were to be an upgrade in your source for all of the amp's so-called strength in the earlier stage will haunt U as weakness later.

By and large, I reckon PC2 should suit your Grado SR80 and if U're ordering from Meier Audio, pick up the 120-ohm adapter which costs very little and yet immensely useful for portable or full-sized home systems. This adapter helps to reduce brightness in most systems and in some cases, offer a smoother flow in the music. Of course, results are cans/amp/system subjective. Alternatively, Xin amps should suit your taste for it leans towards an anologue sound much like tubes. This signature also helps to reduce perception of brightness. On the final issue of bass tightness, it's no concern to the Grados which are generally excellent in this aspect. It's bass body at the lower registers that are more of a concern but only in relative terms. For instance, your SR80 projects snare/kick drums much better than lower resonance of double bass/cello.

Edited by Mackie

thanks for ur detailed explanation, may i know if u tried b4 the total airhead amp, im gonna test it out with the seller soon, will welcome some feedback on this portable amp

Sorry to say I have no experience with Total Airhead. In fact, it's better to keep a clear and unbiased mind before the audition. One tends to draw his own conclusion based on general consensus and also selective in memory of various feedback. Only when one is deprived of reviews and opinions can he/she make a better judgement. The way I see it, reviews are useful in trimming your options but not to gauge performance. Since options are limited in your case, I don't really see the need to read what the amp is capable of; more imperative to HEAR instead. wink.gif

im gonna test it out with the seller soon, will welcome some feedback on this portable amp

Yes, you better do so... try to compare with other amp.

As said, a camera is not better than it's lens, Op-Amp base amp will not sound better than the Op-Amp it uses. The amp characteristic will depend mainly by the main op-amp, eventhough all other components are high end grade components.

Airhead and Total Airhead using LM6134. My brother has tried the Airhead, and he said the price is too high for the sound. Again it is very personal. Just take it as an input for you. He compare it with OPA637 based amp. To me, for the price of the new Total Airhead, you can get a DIY amp with OPA637 wink.gif Unless you get a second hand one which might be attractive enough.

You can check the LM6134 (the LM6132 is the dual type with same spec.) spec and it's application on the first page of the datasheet:

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM6132.pdf

Edited by bpribadi

Airhead and Total Airhead using LM6134.  My brother has tried the Airhead, and he said the price is too high for the sound.  Again it is very personal.  Just take it as an input for you.  He compare it with OPA637 based amp.  To me, for the price of the new Total Airhead, you can get a DIY amp with OPA637  wink.gif  Unless you get a second hand one which might be attractive enough.

Just wondering, but if you use OPA637 are you not more or less confined to using the amp at home than being portable?