arj

SGH member participitation comments/issue

i just browsed through the SGH member list and this is what i found on the posting count:-

1. There are now 1112 members.

2. There are 630 members who do not post at all.

3. There are 285 members who have posted 1 up to 9 posts.

4. There are 74 members who have posted 10 up to 20 posts.

5. There are 40 members who have posted 21 up to 50 posts.

6. There are 18 members who have posted 51 up to 100 posts.

7 There are 31 members who have posted between 101 up to 200 posts.

8 There are 34 member who have posted more than 200 posts.

From the above statistic, we all can see that only about 17% (197) member who are active by the count of post of 10 and above posts. This is rather low participitation, i would say.

I had come across some other thread expressing simillar concern about member participation and some action being mentioned.

My question is, what is the issue on why such a low member participitation and what can be done about it?

p.s: i have noted that there is a member goes by the name arjn. please do not be mistaken by the name simillarity.

Statistics are just numbers. What it doesn't mention is the period of membership which will indicate whether people are inactive or not, Basically the 30 odd people you see who post above 200 are the regulars. The new members would still be in the lower post count region. Having said that, some reasons could be:

1. lurkers mostly or people who use the search functions & already get their answers without having to post queries.

2. Inactive members who posted initially then dissapeared.

3. Members from head-fi registering their nicks so that no one else uses it.

4. Shy members?

5. Head-fi & HeadWize is still the most comprehensive source. SGH gives a more local/regional flavour.

6. Some people have little time to post due to committments at the moment.

7. There's only so much you can talk about concering headphones & the related gear. Once you've reached that point it's just repitition or waiting for something new to come along.

What do you suggest we do to promote it? Bare in mind this is a free (registration required) public forum.

I believe there were many members who registered to read the forum only, when registration was required in order to view the forum. Come in, take a look, some stay, read on, but don't post. Others find nothing to their interest and don't come back anymore.

There are also others who register to keep an eye on the "classifieds'' forum. hence the low post counts.

Anyway don't you find the forum having a number of extremely helpful members despite the few active members? I believe this place is a consideration of quality over quantity. If you try too hard to promote the forum, you may end up with tonnes of spammers who come in and post only OT posts, which have nothing to do with the topic the thread starter intended at all. We may have members who come in and post repeated topics over and over again because they have not bothered to search. And then later disappear. In fact I believe the above statistics will be further augmented, with even more members in the "1-20" posts range. We may even have a surge of members coming from other forums where the use of dialects is a common place because its local, not because their english aren't up to par, and applying that use of dialects here, not considering that we have regional members, or even US members who do not know what the hack they are talking about. Isn't it nice to know that there have been members whose english has improved after joining this forum(mychew innocent.gif )? If you take a look, since the beginning, the pioneer members have used english which is internationally understood.

Would you prefer a forum with fewer posts, but every post has some quality to it, and where everyone understands one another, or the other way around? I feel we should just sit back and enjoy, and not worry too much.

my 2 cents blush.gif

Well said young padawan! laugh.gif

opps... did i err here by highlighting the issue of member contribution.

My intention here is simply highlighting the issue and wish more participitation from members. By more contribution from members, i beleive the forum would have more representation of a broader opinion and we all can learn from one another.

I beleive, we are all respectable members in this forum and we respect each other opinion and contribution.

Please note, it is not my intention that the non or lesser contributing members are not to be welcome into this forum.

Yes, thats partly also what I was trying to say. We should just sit back and let things happen, don't care so much about the statistics.

Besides, would you rather people post less and post better stuff, or post more and post crap.

Edited by lekguan

opps... did i err here by highlighting the issue of member contribution.

My intention here is simply highlighting the issue and wish more participitation from members. By more contribution from members, i beleive the forum would have more representation of a broader opinion and we all can learn from one another.

I beleive, we are all respectable members in this forum and we respect each other opinion and contribution.

Please note, it is not my intention that the non or lesser contributing members are not to be welcome into this forum.

What's your suggestion to make people contribute more? You can't force people to post if they don't want to.

i konw, just like the saying "i can only bring the horse to the water but cannot force him to drink".

But this is an oppurtunity for those people to highlight on what they really like to be happening at SGH.

There must be something.......

For a start, Jason at Echoloft has kindly obliged to our request for a link to this forum on his home page. It's a start nevertheless. Please also note another reputable local forum Xtremeplace is also experiencing a drastic fall in contributions. Yet, a new forum is sprouting as we speak. Through my observations, it is quite cyclical. Echoloft slipped into a lull when Xtremeplace was active stemming from influx of new home theater products and technological breakthrough in this area. Perhaps we need to see new and exciting headphone and related products to improve traffic here.

Edited by Mackie

Some of the photo forums in SG practice deletion of inactive members profiles after a certain period. You might want to do this perhaps just for the sake of house keeping.

Well.. "transworld" this was mention before .. or during the early times when this forum is upz .... by the owner, that at least every member must have one post to keep their account but you cannot disregard what lekguan had wrote above ... some members just wanna come in and take a good .... and the headphone Market is very small in Singapore so there is nothing new out there for new thread as most of them have been discussed before, unless the member are really lazy to search so he post the question once again! happy.gifhappy.gif

Well, why bother to ask when other don't wanna shared their knowledge ohmy.gif

This forum is for a happy headphone's fans gathering !! holiday.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

I guess the step taken of not needing to register before viewing the forum (except the classifieds) has been a great step, in easing the following:

1) People who aren't interested in posting at all have to register to view the forum.

2) People will start registering once they read on, and eventually get so tempted to post something. It always works wink.gif Thereafter it might a road of no end

As of today I have seen that sgh has been experiencing a number of new active members streaming in as compared to before the forum was made "public". Perhaps it was already a good step taken.

Perhaps we need to see new and exciting headphone and related products to improve traffic here.

Mackie, will you start the ball rolling lol.gif

Hey, garbage in, garbage out. I can't reproduce or regenerate what ain't there in the first place. laugh.gif Seriously, nothing's new in the headphone and related ancillaries for now. Maybe new products will appear during Christmas-New year period.

From myself, I will try to make the DIY forum merrier tongue.gif

I see that affordable headphone amp is really difficult to get in Singapore, especially for those high impedance headphones. So, hopefully we can make more members interested to start to DIY their amp, or give solution to those who really cannot do DIY.

Beside that, we can list the users impression of their headphones. We already have the list of the headphone prices, why not a list of how they sound? I know it is gonna be subjective, depend on personal taste, but it is good to see our members share their impression with their headphone, and make it as a list... the list would be good for everybody looking for headphones yes.gif