Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

Short power cord a problem?

Was talking to a hifi kaki and he commented that power cable should not be too short.

I do ever hear from New Disc Village that JPS power cord is of a certain minimum length (2m or 2.5m) in order for the shielding design to be effective (something like that).

Any idea is there a big problem to sonic performance say if the power cord is only 0.5m?

I really have no idea about sound quality but I make sure mine are 2 metres long for no reason other than flexibility, I cannot imagine a 0.5m powercord. Unless of course sonehow you have power outlets right next to your hi-fi or something. tongue.gif

Once again, I wish to reiterate my knowledge in EE/EC principles are already old in the tooth since my departure from this industry more than a decade ago. I stand corrected if the following comments were to be misleading or incorrect.

Much have been said about optimal length of interconnects, some like it long while others short. As for power cord, I learnt (from somewhere which I can't recall) that it takes approx 1.8-2.5m of cable length for the current transfer from wall outlet (source) to equipment to stabilise. I reckon we are not talking about changes in amperes but oscillations. Instability of which thru shorter cable length could impair sound quality downstream. Longer than usual cable length simply exposes it to RFI. I reckon the shielding design may not be the KEY factor for I've used and seen power cords stripped of which and yet made to length of about 2m.

Edited by Mackie

Dont ask me why but when I tied a really short run of Kimber PowerCord (4 feet) and one that was over 10 ft the difference was audible ever so slightly. Hence I ended up buying 3 x 10 feet Kimber PowerKords.