Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

Beyer DT-880 and Grado RS-1

Thanks to mukegile to let me borrow his DT-880 for more than a week.

Personally I like DT-880. Very musical! It is a totaly different species from my Grado RS-1.

DT-880 sounds very smooth, sound wise it is really designed for long hour listening. But it is heavier and give more preassure than the Grado RS-1. RS-1 is much lighter in this case.

Compare to RS-1, RS-1 is very dynamic, sometime offensive. On the other hand, the DT-880 is very polite, not as dynamic as the Grado, but not offensive at all.

I love the mid-bass / lower midrange of DT-880, thick and warm. I wish I can have that with my RS-1. The RS-1 is better in Bass, the lower bass is more powerfull and punchier.

For the highs, Grado is brighter, the DT-880 is darker. So, if RS-1 is Analog Device, then DT-880 is Burr Browns. So, DT-880 better be paired with Analog Device, and the RS-1 is better paired with the Burr Brown to balance their bright-dark sound. I tested the DT-880 with AD8066, and I think it is a good match.

When listening to a cheerful music which is full of dynamic, RS-1 brings it to live. But if the recording is bright, The RS-1 might increase your ear temperature tongue.gif

The DT-880 is not that dynamic, but for bright recording, it is more enjoyable than RS-1. For a dull recording, like old recording from vinyl, or when you listen to cassete tape, the DT-880 might sounds boring because of lack in dynamic.

DT-880 good in:

Polite sounding headphone, tends to the dark sound. Very musical and won't give you ears fatique. Sweet and warm lower midrange.

What DT-880 doesn't have from the RS-1:

Dynamic, detail, tight and punchy bass, and wide imaging of the RS-1.

headphone.gifheadphone.gifheadphone.gif

Bram

Edited by bpribadi

Waiting for the time when I can get my hands on one of those precious RS-1s tongue.giflol.gif

Nice comparison, btw ! happy.gif

Edited by Blues

Thats very interesting, the words "Dynamic, detail, tight and punchy bass, and wide imaging" are what I'd use to describe my DT-880s(I listen to a lot of rock and everything else using them). I also own Grado SR80s and have listened to the RS-1s on a couple of occasions. Lets see if I can make it for the meet and compare my 880s to a pair of RS-1s one more time. What equipment did you use to compare the 2, btw.

Edited by av98m

I don't have good player, so I used Panasonic PCDP SL-CT-810, the amp, My Modded Pimeta Clone with AD8066.

With better player and amp, I believe DT-880 will sounds better. But with a direct comparison with RS-1, you will now what I mean with Dynamic, detail, punchy bass, and wide imaging. DT-880 already have good dynamic, detail, etc., but compare to RS-1, RS-1 better on those fields.

headphone.gif

DT-880 already have good dynamic, detail, etc., but compare to RS-1, RS-1 better on those fields.

I agreed with bpribadi RS-1 are much better. For me the DT 880 sound lifeless compare it on my setup.

Micro-zolt with EMC-1up/X-Ray. laugh.gif

Ahhhh.....that figures. The DT-880s are notorious for being power hungry and hard to drive. They're comatose when driven without an amp or one without sufficent juice. yawn.gif Grados on the other hand with their much lower impedance tend to sound a lot more lively. The higher end sennheisers have the same problem.

Off track a bit.........Barradio, do U prefer the EMC-1UP with Micro-solt or X-Ray? The reason I asked is because I preferred my A3CD with RKV II than EMC-1. The latter combo are too alike in terms of signature that it sounds not as exciting as having A3CD as the source. I just wonder if EMC-1 is more suitable to SS than tube amps.

Grados on the other hand with their much lower impedance tend to sound a lot more lively. The higher end sennheisers have the same problem.

It not lively I am referring to it, it the micro detail of the recording it can be heard from the Grados. headphone.gif

All right, you guys have made me curious. Any owner of a pair of RS-1s now has an open invitation to my house so the both of us can listen to both the DT-880s and RS-1s on my setup. tongue.gif

I'm not so certain the comparison will be fair, however, since my DT-880s are already chopped up (see previous installment of mad mod world) and being fed dual mono signal via 2 separate plugs. We'll need a stock DT-880 as well. lol.gif

post-2-1098424724.jpg

Edited by av98m

I really wish I could own the RS-1. Since I already prefer the grado's lower range SR-125 over the DT880. The Grado with the right amp, really shiok for rock music..

Lets see as a previous owner of RS-1 and a lazy seller of DT-880 (yeah I will put it up for sale sometime but please dont send me emails/pms abt it) I would say they are in a different league when partnered with better source and amps. While I do like the DT-880 it's really at least 2 notches down when compared to the Grado RS-1. Assuming you are using a good CDP (around 1K upwards) and a good amp that delivers enough current (the 800ma worth of current from my former Prehead was good enough). Of course you'll also need a good interconnect to realize the full potential of both the DT-880 and Grado RS-1. The Grado has an advantage in that it can even be used with most PCDPs without an amp. So if you are in the market for one headphone and do like the Grado sound (ir clarity, detailed and speedy) then go the RS-1 route. If you listen to classical OTOH look to the DT-880 or better yet the new Senn HD-650. Personally, I prefer the Beyer DT-991 to the DT-880. But hey, that's just me (being an ex Grado fanatic). Why ex? Cos the damn grado ear pads causes an irritation to my sensitive skin while the Beyer pads and for that matter all cloth based pads are ok. BTW I had to sell the excellent Ety 4P for the same reason - the silicon/foamies reacted with my skin. Bummer huh!

In defence of the DT-880 they cost a fraction of the RS-1 and at that (DT-880) price range it's still a good can - just that I prefer the brighter tone of the DT-931.

The real competition for the Grado RS-1 is it's elder sibling the HP-1 (which I had as well) and the AKG K-1000. All are in about the same price class - S$1,200 (yeah I sold my HP-1 for that as well).