Sign in to follow this  
heady

How to prevent fungus on CD

Hi all,

I am really frustrated with the fungi growing on my CD collection. Almost all the CDs have this problem. I have to clean them before listening to them. And the fungus come back after a couple of weeks.

Apart from "aircon-ning" my CDs (no aircon) what can be done to prevent this problem?? Suggestions and tips anyone?

Thanks.

how about putting thirsty hippos in a cool, dark and dry place together with CDs?

Weird, my CDs hardly have fungus, only those that I haven't played in several years and it is pretty minor. And they aren't air conditioned most of the time. They are kept in a drawer though.

hmm no idea ... how come yours got fungi growing on them so fast as mine hardly find one only those Cds i had not listenz for years .........

expensive way ... buy the air tight box ..... or dry box to keep them ... may spend thousand of $$$$

other take evil-zen suggestions which is cheaper

but can you tell us how to keep your cds in the first place so we have a clearer idea and we can come out with a better idea to solve ............ sleep.gif

izzit your room atmosphere not ........ good ????

Thanks guys, it is true many of my CDs have not been touched for months and even years. Unfortunately after I cleaned them, the fungus come back again. I have been listening to CDs since they first came out, years ago. Yep, I'm an old man. happy.gif

Actually, I keep my cds and dvds in a dry cabinet these days(the kind you get from camera shops and have to plug into the mains to power the automatic dehumidifier). I got the idea when I visited Fuwen some time back. tongue.gif

I paid about $300+ for a 116 litre capacity one from Cathay Photo.

Edited by av98m

av98m, that's a good idea. Give me a good reason to dispose of those CDs I don't listen to anymore too. I TRY to stop buying CDs as I think I have too many to listen to.

Here's a pic of my cabinet

did i see wrongly ??? gundam Seed complete Best ???Woo yours is the limited edition from Japan or the normal edition or i am wrong all along .........

hehee just asking, Woo the songs that are in the cd are nice right !! hheee lol.gif

O.o ya back to topic ........ Yup if anyone have the intentions to get dry cabinet, you must consider the costs and the spaces that you need and if you have fuwen's cds collection Woo .. Woo see how many dry cabinet he has brought, man that must hard cost alot and the space taken upz are alot but it find with him and is a good way to keeps cd out of reach to childrens. laugh.gif ( sorry fuwen to put you into spot )

I have no idea what edititons there are. It is japanese press and I had to pay an arm and a leg for it. There's a few more japanese press cds behind it. Just for reference, my cabinet can fit roughly 200 cds comfortably, which is why I put only my original cds inside, no space for my pirated ones.

Thanks guys, I can see my wife will be thrilled by yet another dry cabinet to join the others containing my camera gear. biggrin.gif But yes, that looks like the only way. What to do?

Thanks again.

Strange, I never put extra care on my CDs, and so far never have serious fungus problem. Some have spots, probably fungus on the plastic surface, just wipe them clear, and never have reading problem happy.gif

bpribadi, my cds collection is very old and too many to listen to all. Some CDs are already unusable due to oxidation. I remember advertisement say CD will last forever, it is only about 20 years and some already can't be read. My records last better. I recently moved most of my CD to my office where at least it is aircon during office hours.