Sign in to follow this  
Kube

Advice for a confused beginner...

Sorry, new here...

Anyways, I recently realised that the old pair of headphones passed down to me from my father (yes, they're pretty old), which is wireless, is filled with irritating fuzzy noises, gives crap bass, and is stuffed with tissues for padding.

Hence, I have endevoured to rid myself of this monstrosity and replace them with another pair. I just need advice on what kind of headphones are best under the price of S$300 dollars, preferrably with superior bass and is pretty clear. I'm not sure what to choose, CNET says Senn is good, retailers say Bose is good, forums say Grado is good. Confusing.

Well, erm, thanks then for whatever anyone can contribute. smile.gif

Grado sr-125 for that money. Heck, even the sr-80 is damn good out of portable cd player

superior to any bose or sony at that price range

This is a very common question here. The first thing you should tell us is a little bit more about what type of music you like to listen to & what equipment you will be using the headphones with. Alot of the decision can be narrowed down with those 2 simple questions so that people's recommendations will not be blind.

At that price point, there are pretty good Beyers to consider as well. Do not trust reviews/recommendations blindly, it would be good if you can audition the cans yourself and decide if they are for you. But first, like naz said, you need to tell us your music preferences and other gear so that we can help you narrow down the choices.

Well, I don't have a specific type of music that I favour, but I usually like instrumentals, and anything that has quite a bit of bass in it.

As for gear, I'm just satisfied with my desktop computer.

Hope this helps, thanks.

What sound card are you using? If you are going to use the desktop computer's integrated audio as your source, perhaps it does not warrant very expensive cans as your source may not be capable of maximising their potential. "Garbage in garbage out" as we always say.

If you like bass, you might want to consider the Koss KSC-75, which costs

No brainer here - go for the Grados. And you can audition them before you buy in a quiet surrounding with you own music at Music By Design - 2nd level Adelphi. The SR-80 goes for S$180 - both the SR-125 and SR225 are a step up. The SR-225 is S$350. Cant remember the price of the SR-125.

Grados have great rez and clarity and do not have boomy bass.