Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

Completed - Tube Buffer

Let's say U have a solid state cdp and amp but U wish to introduce the "goodness" of tubes into this system, this is when a tube buffer comes in. It serves as a conduit/buffer between the source and amp.

source > tube buffer > amp

Eg. Musical Fidelity X-10D

does this mean that the setup is now a kind of hybrid system?

can u actually hear the "goodness" from the tubes though the solid state amp? unsure.gif

The tube buffer sounds more like a "tube filter" to me, happy.gif since it is actually used to change the sound rather than to buffer. Still it does look cute.

does this mean that the setup is now a kind of hybrid system?

can u actually hear the "goodness" from the tubes though the solid state amp? unsure.gif

From a different perspective, U would be introducing colorations to the resultant sound via a tube buffer. With it in the link, the final sound could sound less "solid state" and warmer in the mid range and/or sweeter in the treble. Besides the goodness of a tube sound, weakness inherent with tubes might also pervade. Hence, a tube buffer does not guarantee a superior sound but merely allows the user to experience sonic signatures of tubes.

Thanks for response. my tube buffer is made for my PC desktop setup. it does improve the sound of PC speakers.

Thanks for response. my tube buffer is made for my PC desktop setup. it does improve the sound of PC speakers.

What's the design you followed? Did you try the MF X-10D design posted sometime back? cool.gif

What's the design you followed? Did you try the MF X-10D design posted sometime back? cool.gif

nope, the X-10D is not very good after some discussion in DIYaudio.com.

it's a form of preamp with feedback and no gain, you can trace back the thread.

i follow digi01's design, the buffer is designed for gain clone i suppose. rolleyes.gif