Sipher

CDP Recommendations

A tube output stage would probably cost about $1-200

A new clock upgrade is also around $1-200

These are 2 very reccomended upgrades to any cd player under $5k.

Ok, this thread is making me damn gian to upgrade my CDP liao. CD6000OSE looks like a good choice now. Pricing is decent too. I am currently using a PDS802 with a pretty decent transport, which means I might be able to just add on a DAC for upgrade. But the problem is that the digital out for the unit is using only optical, may end up sounding too clinical.

cd6000ose is a good choice , esp that it can be found only ard +/- $300 in the 2nd hand market. quite good value for money! biggrin.giftongue.gif

Blues, that sounds like a good solution. I usually dun mind buying used hifi stuff because they are usually well taken care of. Audiophiles usually take good care of their stuff.

What's your budget peekie? CD6000ose may be a great player in its time (superseded afterall) but do remember technology contributes much to the performance of cdps. Marantz CD5400 ($299) sports the same DACs that are used in high end Meridian cdps - Crystal CS4392. Of course a DAC may not gaurantee the final sound quality but like for like, it beats the older Marantz models.

I suggest retaining your PD-S802 for future purposes and get a new cdp instead of transport-dac setup albeit the solid Pioneer transport. My old PD-9700 serves very well in driving my bedside rig now depsite being old in the tooth.

Btw, Sembawang Music and Gramophone stores use this model for public auditioning of their cds.

Marantz CD5400