Sipher

CDP Recommendations

Sorry if this is OT (since this is a headphone forum n the mods can remove this if necessary smile.gif )

need some CDP recommendations (if Mackie's CDP is a no-go)

budget around $350 (or should i save up more to get better ones...)

it will be good if the CDP have a headphone jack.

Thanx headphone.gif

Edited by Sipher

This is a nice, cozy corner and I guess no one would mind about it.

If Mackie's CDP is a no-go, perhaps you should try you luck at www.echoloft.com . There's quite a fair bit of equipment tradings over there.

agree..

at $350, I think you can find a much better value on 2nd hand eqpmts.

Even the marantz cd6000oSEle new already costs 400.if you can fork out abit more, this is a fine unit though smile.gif using the OSE now. Has a nice warm sound.

If you are really keen on cdp.. I think you can save up for the 6000ose. It's really a nice starter cd player and I don't think you would need to upgrade it for a long long time(not unless you become a hardcore head-phile and begin buying hi end headphones and amps, then the cd player upgrade would then become necessary smile.gif )

anything else? anything else about the pioneers, denons, marantzes?

anything cheap? we're living in a place where all this is supposed to be pretty cheap right? party.gif

Thanks Oak

anyone knows how does the cd63ki compare against cd6000OSE?

I can't really give you the comparison. But I know that generally it's accepted that cd6000OSE is better sounding that its older cousin the cd63ki. cd63ki is still a fine unit though.

adhoc, not sure about other cd players. I think you can also try the philips 936A or something.. it's dvd/sacd/cd or something I couldn't remember. Reviewed very favourably.

anywhere in singapore where i can audition marantz??

(preferably with good services. hehe tongue.gif )

Anwsering a few queries here:

Marantz - KEC @ Adelphi 1st Level (Clarence is a very nice guy)

Philips 963A - S$899 (Can hear it at New Disc Village @ Adelphi 3rd Level)

Marantz 6000OSE LE - S$439 (last price known in early April @ KEC)

Marantz CDPs are known to be progressively better and it even applies to the KI (Ken Ishiwata) series. ie. CD6000 OSE LE > CD6000 > CD63KI > CD63. (This is what I learnt of at echoloft).

Advise: If tight on budget, get a 2nd hand and save the rest for a decent interconnects.

Edited by Northern Oak

And lots of CDs. No point having all that lovely gear & you only have a handful of CDs to play on it.

Thanks for all the recommendations n advise.

u guys r so nice. happy.gif

can i ask u guys to help me keep a keepout for used ones?

thanks headphone.gif

Hi Sipher,

I managed to get the link to my friend's cdp. U can take a look at the condition

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ronwill/cd63ki.html

If interested, U can come over to my place to audition the player. I will borrow it from him as he lives only a few block from mine at Choa Chu Kang Crescent. It should be within your budget of $350.

I will check if it has variable output/headphone volume control to make it worthy for your consideration.

I didn't know they made them in champagne colour as well. So used to UK black gear! Interesting link you gave, made me wonder about making my own interconnects especially using the friction grip RCA plugs rather than soldering.

Connecting an rca plug to the cable without soldering is known as crimping aka Canare plugs.

OK, last OT question, which is regarded as better quality? Crimping, soldering or the screw on type.