Sipher

CDP Recommendations

Only if U can hear a difference.

However, purists prefer crimping as this process gives solid contact between the 2 elements with minimal stress on the wires. U will need a crimping tool.

Soldering introduce impurities even if the solder contains 2/4% silver. Also, overheating may also be detrimental to the molecular structure of the wires.

Clamping/screwing may introduce higher stress, friction of wires and contact surface area is also lesser.

hey no more recommendations??

not only for me but maybe for some people new or want to upgrade?

tho i think the latter should know what to get for upgrade.

headphone.gif

Hmmm eyeing at Mackie MF A324. wub.gif

Mackie tell us more about the MF A324, eg how it sounds with the X-cans and Dt880?

My cdp MF A3CD (don't confuse with A324 as that's the dac) sits in the speakers setup and I have yet to try it on my cans system. I can safely say this cdp has great timing and high resolution (24bit/96Hz). Pretty analogue sounding with a tad of rolloff on the extreme highs to avoid sibilance prevalent in a lot of cdps. I consider this cdp a music lover machine and not so much of an audiophile gear because of its sonic signature......really sweet and warm mids and punchy mid bass.

Hey Mackie the description sounds good to me, any place I can do an audition in Sg? Any recommendations to upgrade my source?

PS: your X-feed has arrived safely.

Edited by lengcm

Hey Mackie the description sounds good to me, any place I can do an audition in Sg? Any recommendations to upgrade my source?

PS: your X-feed has arrived safely.

lengcm,

Alpha Audio is the dealer of MF products. U can listen to the A3.2CD with a fresh screen and front panel design. To get a proper audition, I only know one place...mine! biggrin.gif

Since your source is a NAD, I recommend a cdp in the 1-2K range unless U wish to up the ante to 2-3K as U feel rich. Favs in the former are Marantz CD17MkIII (Oak has this with pleasure), Exposure 2010, Rega 2000, Opera 2.2 (tubes), Heart 6000 (modified Marantz CD6000 with tubes but overpriced in S'pore) and perhaps Audiomeca Obsession. It all depends on your music preference and the kinda characteristics U favour in them.

Looking forward to my crossfeed matey. w00t.gif

is it only high-end CDP have 24bit/96Hz resolution??

I believe so Sipher. Otherwise, add a dac like MF X-24K (used price around $400-450) to update your player. There are more expensive options in this area but I reckon U being an NSF, U wouldn't want to hear it. tongue.gif

I'm currently using the abovementioned with my 12-year old Pioneer PD9700 cdp with a solid transport to update its digital-to-anologue domain to the latest technology. A good and cheap way to upgrade its sound. In fact, the transport of 9700 gives a better sound (my opinion) than a more contemporary Marantz CD6000ose when partnered with the X-24K dac.

Once again, this proves every element in the setup chain makes an impact on the resultant sound.

Crimping then soldering THEN screw on.

Belt, suspenders &...

can't get any more secure than that!

I believe so Sipher. Otherwise, add a dac like MF X-24K (used price around $400-450) to update your player. There are more expensive options in this area but I reckon U being an NSF, U wouldn't want to hear it. tongue.gif

I'm currently using the abovementioned with my 12-year old Pioneer PD9700 cdp with a solid transport to update its digital-to-anologue domain to the latest technology. A good and cheap way to upgrade its sound. In fact, the transport of 9700 gives a better sound (my opinion) than a more contemporary Marantz CD6000ose when partnered with the X-24K dac.

Once again, this proves every element in the setup chain makes an impact on the resultant sound.

ooh... looks like the only way i can get to hear 24/96 resolution is by buying m-audio revo 7.1

n@z,

Heh, twas 7:19 when i answered, groggy and all laugh.gif

Sipher

There are soundcards that upsamples to 24/192 but chances are a cd playera of the same price as the card sounds better

Mackie,

My cd player uses the TDA1541A and its only a 16bit DA but the amount of detail and ambient noise found in recordings and heard thru this player is ENOUGH. Too much details sometimes kills musicality...

True true Fishball. Upsampling does not guarantee better sonic quality. TDA1541A is a well-proven dac and still in use and sought after by DIYers. As yet, feedback from those who experienced 192Hz resolution are mixed and some found the sound rather artificial. Don't forget cds are essentially encoded with 16-bit 44.1KHz resolution only.

Different 24-bit dacs will sound differently but there's one common factor ie, better retrieval of information. YMMV I reckon.

Sipher,

In the end, the music matters more than the sound and the implementation is more important than the theories. yeah.gif

What i suggest is to pick the cd player you enjoy the most with all sorts of different music you listen to. Since you probably can lug your cans and amp around... auditioning cd players in a 'familiar environment'... You'd get a very good idea of what to expect from whichever cd player you are buying.