Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

review : digi01's lc-king

i jus received it this afternoon, after waiting for near 50 days, those who are impatient and wanna get an amp from digi01, choose air shipping, i regretted choosing sea shipping. This is my first time reviewing an amp, so here goes. i got mackies diy'ed canare rca interconnects last nite, and first thing i noticed about wad it did to my setup, a cheapo denon integrated amplifier+ sony x3000 cdp+ grado sr80+ generic red white rca interconnect was that it increases details, vocals are more refined and smoother, overall it was much more musical to me but all at the expense of sacrificing quite a lot of bass (my generic red white interconnects had reli overbloated bass). Im very satisfied with it except for the bass department, i didnt like the overbloated bass the red/white interconnects had but the canare has too little bass for me, but one thing to note is that the cables are not run in yet so once its run it i will post my findings again on the canare l2t2s i.c, one things for sure its definately many many times better than those cheapo red white cables. thanks once again mackie!

now that i hooked on the lc-king and played some sarah brightman, i was pretty shock at wad i was hearing. the vocals became reli reli smooth, previously the music was pretty grainy/edgy but this amp smoothened everything until a point it gets pretty awkard. this is definately not the sound i've been listening to for the past few months. Its too smooth, i guess it'll take some time for me to get used to it. the bass, yes its pretty punchy and theres no sign or overbloated bass, pretty good in the bass department. the vocals is the astounding one, its really very silk like compared to the denon amp i was using, and it feels very awkward to me right now. another thing im not used to is the laid back sound of the amp ( i tink its due to the opa 637bp). its slightly veiled, so i guess its safe to say the opa637 is a pretty dark sounding opamp as it managed to tame the highs of my grado sr80. overall a very good amp compared to my denon integrated amp. i will post more findings later, gonna let it burn in a bit. thanks digi01 for the amp and sorry for all the trouble.

Edited by papaya86

thank you papaya,good review yes.gif

the lc-king is design by a taiwan diyer called david lin.

this amp is a modify version.

1,the power supply part is my own design.it is a dual mono rail pairs.can find some detail here.

2,the amp part is based on lin's PCB board.classA/B mode.all active components are quality parts.I do some adjust basis on my experience.list here:

U1 op275 or opa2604<->(original ne5532)

U2 opa2604 or opa637pairs<->(original tl072)

all those four transistors are expensive alternative,these alternatives make sound lively & pleasure<->(the original transistors is cheaper 2sd882/2sb772 pairs)

all inner cable is not masking,I don't like masking cable.

enjoy music laugh.gif

digi

hi digi01 regarding the portable amp, theres an empty socket, can i place another piece of 2604 ap into it? thanks

the socket is placed for update,it has not hook up to the main circuit.you can just leave it empty.

im currently using the 637bp+ 2604ap combination for lc-king, may i noe if i can swap the 2604ap with something like an 8610 or a 627? thanks

hey bro, dun touch that 2604 yet, coz it's regarded as the best opamp (so far) for its application by David Lin.

as for that 637bp+ , digi01 said best opamp doesn't neccesarily have to sound good, it's synergy that matter. He said op275 (i believe it's from AD) is better it that lc-king circuit. try to switch it back and do a AB comparison.

wah lao.. why never say earlier, i tot the op275 is a sucky opamp i immediately swapped it when i saw it yesterday, how to take the double 637 out...its embedded onto a small little piece of pcb (isit called adapter?), if i wanna take it out chances are i'll touch the pins, can confirm with u all wad characteristics the op275 have before i swap?

wow i jus swapped it, and i immediately recognized the changes in sound, the sound was no longer laid back, it was brought forward by alot, it had more attack, and it became slightly harsher (very tinnny little bit, tolerable), previously with the 637, the TTTSSSS and the SSSSS were very gentle, on this 275 its abit harsher, but hey this is definately better for rock! the only drawback is the details of the 275 is not as good as the 637, certain details are not as loud as it could be heard with the 637, will post more findings after i give it somemore listening time

dunno if its my ears thats playing tricks on me, digi01 is the op275 faster than the 637 pair? it seems to me that way, and the bass is also punchier

Edited by papaya86