Sign in to follow this  
max_the_lab

Help with choice of cans

Hi all,

I am a newbie at headphones... but for late night listening in consideration of the neighbours, I am looking at taking the plunge with a set of cans.

I have a budget of around S$500, and listen to a very varied mix of jazz, pop and orchestral and small ensemble classical pieces. The only thing I don't listen to is heavy metal and rap... so I suppose I would want something that is pretty much an all-rounder.

I would be running the phones via an Accuphase C-2400 pre amp from a DP-67 CDP.

Taking all that into consideration, I have shortlisted the usual suspects for audition.

1. Grado SR 325- seems no one has anything bad to say about these at all, except maybe the comfort level... but I don't think I will be wearing them for more than 1-2 hours at a time.

2. Sennheiser HD600- although I would consider the HD580/590 as well, as I have heard good things about these from friends.

3. Beyerdynamic DT880- seems to be a good vibe about these phones on the forum.

4. AKG K501- again, a friends recommendation.

Appreciate your comments and input.

Thanks. biggrin.gif

Edited by max_the_lab

Hi max,

If I were you I would pick sennheiser hd600 or hd650. Jazz and small ensemble sound fantastic on these cans. Hope it helps.

Don't have much experience with the rest, but like Charismatic mentioned, the Senns are really great for jazz, orchestral and classical pieces. In fact the HD650's are pretty all-rounded, especially if you don't listen to rock/metal for which Grado would be more appropriate.

For that budget, you could possibly get a dedicated headphone amp as well.

Hi Charismatic and Absolute 0,

Thanks for your input. biggrin.gif

I'll make it my first priority to check out the Sennheisers then.

It looks like the 650s cost bit more than what I budgetted for- are they worth the extra couple hundred dollars?

Also, from what I can see, the prices do vary quite a bit depending on where you shop.

Where besides Hung Brothers would be a good place to look at the 600/650?

It looks like the 650s cost bit more than what I budgetted for- are they worth the extra couple hundred dollars?

Also, from what I can see, the prices do vary quite a bit depending on where you shop.

Where besides Hung Brothers would be a good place to look at the 600/650?

It's pretty subjective IMHO. Some say the differences between the HD600 & HD650 are night and day, while others say the differences are subtle. Note that I used the word "differences", instead of "improvements", as there are some who clearly prefer the HD600. So it would be best if you could audition them both and decide for yourself.

Yes, prices do vary, and getting used equipment is one of the many options if something falls out of your budget. Besides Hung Brothers, you might want to try Meier Audio (prices include international shipping) or other online stores which have promotions from time to time, though auditions might not be possible.

Although HD600/650 gets my pick, the important criterion to yield maximum sonic benefit is requirement/choice of amp. It won't do justice to these cans simply by plugging it to your pre-amp headphone socket. It remains a fact that high-end integrated/pre-amp rarely sports an equally capable headphone-out circuitry, which is seen more as a side-dish than part of the main course.

I personally own DT880, HD600 and HD650 and can attest to the fact that the Beyer is indeed easier to drive than the latter two. My context of "easier" does not mean the volume of sound but quality. I would also predict that the Beyer will sound nicer driven direct from your pre-amp than the Senn 600/650.

In summary, I would pick DT880 over HD600/650 if U have no intention to include a headamp to your system and merely want to facilitate private enjoyment of your music.

What about Grado RS325? Well, they can sound bright and may/may not suit classical/jazz genre (I personally feel that it doesn't) although it's an easy load to drive (reduces need for a headamp). Audition is a must.

Hi Mackie,

Thanks for your reply.

I have no intention of building up a headphone-based system at the present moment. The intention, as mentioned, is to get a pair of phones to enjoy music late at night without disturbing the neighbours and the wife... but who knows what I may get sucked into!!

If I might just also ask, how does one tell from specs whether a pair of phones is easy to drive?

Usually cans with low impedance, such as the Grados (32 ohms IIRC), are easy to drive. However, on the flipside, they might also require more current.

Comparatively, the HD600/650 at 300 ohms might need a dedicated headamp to better realise their full potential.

Without knowing how good the Accuphase is as a headphone amp I would suggest that you audition the Grado SR-325 (or the SR225), the Senn HD-600 and the Beyer DT-880 before you decide. Since there is no one place that does this (ie have all 3 brands to test). You might wanna bring your pre-amp to MBD (Grado Distributor in Sg) and Hung Brothers (for the Beyer and the Senn). I suggest you visit Hung brothers first, Do call them up to inform them (speak to Douglas).

The Grados are easier to drive then either the Senn or Beyer.

Went down to Hung Brothers today...

Managed to have a listen to the HD600, 650 and the HD595 through a NAD CD-R and mixer in the shop...

Have to say the surprise of the lot was the 595, dynamic, well-balanced with extended, unfatiguing treble and toneful, defined bass... in comparison the 600 and 650 sounded somewhat dark, with a tonal balance tilted towards the lower frequencies.

I have a question though... I was intending to listen to the Beyerdynamic DT880 as well, but the nice lady at Hung Bros said they were out of stock indefinitely. Has anyone compared the tonal balance of the 880 with the Senns especially the HD595? DO you think it would be worth my while to hold off purchasing my cans until I get to hear the 880s?

Guess if you patient enough, you can wait. The other headphone/earspeaker you may want to try is the AKG K1000.

Edited by lengcm

I have a question though... I was intending to listen to the Beyerdynamic DT880 as well, but the nice lady at Hung Bros said they were out of stock indefinitely.

It's true. However, don't despair. My usual source (overseas) just informed me he has stocks and the latest DT880 has undergone a face lift on its aluminium box. Please refer to FAQ, Articles etc section for my review on DT880.

Please also note DT880 costs more than HD595 and so the VFM (value for money) factor has to be considered.

post-2-1108524209.jpg

Edited by Mackie

Max

I think you'll be happy with the DT880 - they are more neutral and detailed than the 595.

However, for long term listenability and enjoyment, the 880 may seem boring, depending on the choice of headphone amp used.

Do listen to the DT990 as well. I still use and enjoy them although they were my first cans and I was completely new to this. Note that the 990 is one step down from the 880. Details are there but the 880 has the edge in detail retrieval. The 990 will sound a bit more bass heavy but not as dark sounding as the 600/650.

BTW, each headphone can present an entirely different sonic signature even if they are from the same line, so don't assume they sound the same. The best is to listen with your own setup.

Any of these headphones will sound best if driven by an appropriate amp. Exception being the Grado 325 which has a low impedence.

Another option is the Audio Technica range. I have the W100 which I love, but is already discontinued.

Good luck with your search.

Any of these headphones will sound best if driven by an appropriate amp. Exception being the Grado 325 which has a low impedence.

Something I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with. If you know how amplifiers and output circuits work, the Grados are actually harder to drive than HD600's or the HD595's.

A dedicated amplifier should be devoted for the Grado SR-325's for them to sound best.