Sign in to follow this  
Kube

Bose???

Newbie here. Anyways, I'm trying to decide between the Bose Triport (QuietComfort's just too ex), the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (highly rated) and the Grado SR-80. I listen to music from all ranges from classical to boom-dependent techno. What I need is a can that will last and will provide suitable comfortability with quality sound. For use with my desktop and TV.

Newbie here. Anyways, I'm trying to decide between the Bose Triport (QuietComfort's just too ex), the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (highly rated) and the Grado SR-80. I listen to music from all ranges from classical to boom-dependent techno. What I need is a can that will last and will provide suitable comfortability with quality sound. For use with my desktop and TV.

Steer clear of anything Bose, those things are notorious for being overpriced and of mediocre quality, hence poor bang-for-buck. No experience with the Senn, but the Grado should be pretty decent, except that classical is not its forte.

You could try a sony mdr-V6/mdr-7506 around that price. Bassy enough for techno but may not perform as well on classical. Do note that its a little bright compared.

If you dont need isolation from noise then go for the Grado SR-125 or stretch your budget for the SR-225 at S$350.

The Sony's are ok as closed cans and is my choice if you need isolation (they should cost about S$200 max) anything more and there are better options like the Beyer DT-250 (contact mackie for pricing)

The Sony's are a little thin and have a bright top end. The Grado SR-125 has the same tone but different soundstaging and are a little better IMO.

The Beyer DT-250 are a little darker and may be a little too rich sounding (they are warmer).

Audition the Grado's at Music By Design 2nd level The Adelphi (opposite funan)

Audition the Beyer's at Mackie's place (contact him for details as he may or may not have a pair for demo purposes)

An althernative is the Beyer DT-150

The best piece of advice is trust your ears as everthing is subjective. What I like may not be what you like. Bring along some CDs that you enjoy and see which headphone lets you enjoy it more.

Cheers

Oh I almost forgot - Stay clear of Bose. It's for people who like style over substance (if you like their style in the first place LOL)

Edited by Rameish

How about Senn's? What I am mostly keen for is a can that will sound crystal clear (for orchestra's and instrumentals), and yet maintain a good boom at the low end. Is that even possible? Dunno, anyway, I heard that the HD280 Pro is good. Advice?

advice?

Better to hear for yourself, than to 'hear that' is sounds good. Cos everyone has different ears and different tastes and liking/disliking a product is subjective.

Bring your favourite tracks/discman/mp3 player down to these 2 places. Music by Design (Grado) and Hung Brothers (Senn, Beyer, AKG, Audio-Technica)

btw, if you really want crystal clear, you should really consider stretching your budget to get the ER4. There is a guy in the classifieds selling it at $400 from Japan, brand new with shipping thrown in.

PS. I introduced my friend to the etymotics, he travels very frequently (and he owns a bose). Guess which headphones are now in his trashcan and which headphones he uses on the flight? And guess which one is more expensive....

Edited by yongchris

Well, for those who want to know...I decided to try to the Senn's, and they're great!

It gives a subtle, but quite apparent, boom for the low end, and when the bass level is changed, it's also crystal clear for classicals. VERY sweet. laugh.gif

I was one of those suckers who thought wow! of Bose initially...but lucky me now...hahaha..I am keeping all clear of those. And B&O too.

Edited by idkfa