Sign in to follow this  
Kube

Question

I bought a Senn HD280 Pro, and I find that when I listen to say, the mp3s on my com, there are crackling sounds (like static) at the really high ends. For example, in some songs, when the 's' sound is hit, the crackling appears, and it's horribly obvious. Is it the encoding? The equipment? The headphones? (!!I hope not!!). Also, seeing that it's a pretty high-end headphone, should I get a headamp to maximise the use of the Senn?

There's a word for the "s"ings which i forgot but they usually don't give you THAT much of a cracking sound. It sounds like you have a blown driver? Hope not. Perhaps it's your encoding? What is your encoded mp3 stats? And what sound card are you using?

Sibilance? Usually its just a very irritating hissing sound but if there is a crackling sound, it may be a spoilt driver or your mp3 encoding. Try it out with other recordings on cd's or something else to confirm?

If u connects the HD 280Pro to a PCDP do u get the same problem?

Sibilance? Usually its just a very irritating hissing sound but if there is a crackling sound, it may be a spoilt driver or your mp3 encoding. Try it out with other recordings on cd's or something else to confirm?

Sibilance! That's the word! Thanks. But I am sure they don't crack under pressure unless it's the fat lady from harry potter... biggrin.gif

Also encountered the crackling sounds on my DT880 for some tracks of certain CDs.

Eg: The Prayer from Celine Dion's Collector's Vol 1. At parts when the music reach a climax, the crackling sound will prevail.

I feel that the crackling is from the tracks themselves as another pair of Panansonic earphones that i have also give a slight crackling sound at the same part of the music.

Anyone with that CD can give it a try too?

However, when the treble is turned up or when bright sounding equipment is used i.e. from the ATH-A500 headphone, this crackling noise will not be so obvious.

Edited by david watt

Hmm...I think it's the encoding, seeing that I had all my music encoded from mp3 into wma format. However, SOME of the songs are OK, but others are just plain obvious. Perhaps the previous quality of the track was already bad enough...

Should I get an amp for my HD 280?

Some songs have crackling built in due to poor mastering like most of the newer pop cds. When the mistake is from the cd itself, there is no way to correct it. Of course, transcoding (mp3 - wma) might worsen the problem too. What's the point of converting mp3 to wma? It would be better to leave it in the original format.

An amp won't cure the problem if it is in the source.

I think it is most likely due to the encoding. I have encountered this before. What bitrate is the song encoded at? I find that it is more prominent at lower bitrates.

Really poor bitrate, I use them for my mp3 player. Unfortunately, the originals were all destroyed when my HDD conked out. So I'm stuck with them.

I was just asking though, would a headamp go well with my HD 280? I mean, I want to realise the full potential of my cans, so I was just wondering whether it would be worth my while to get one.

Be careful of the word "Full Potential"...it's deadly... Depending if you got the dough for it. By all means if you can get one, go try and "see" the difference. I think it would be better for you to ask someone to let you try try it before you take the plunge. Some phones, like my E5, i feel that it's better unamped cos even amped, it doesn't really send you off to cloud nine...

My 2cents.

Personally I am using HD 280Pro. IMHO with a good/decent headamp will improve its preformance especially at the highs and the lows. It should be quite obvious with a portable source.

Oh, using the same one as I am, forgot to add 'pro' (oops). Anyways, are there any recommendations for a headamp that isn't too expensive?

Until you can get better mp3s with no crackling, you will only be amplifying the crackling sounds. No point at all.

Personally I would advise against getting an amp.