Sign in to follow this  
idkfa

A trip down Sony Qualia Tokyo.

Well, this afternoon after a hard day's presentation in school, I decided to go down to enjoy myself silly with the great sony trio down Sony Qualia HQ in Ginza, Tokyo.

They somewhat changed the layout for the 010 auditioning. Before it was in an glass enclosed room dedicated entirely to the trio, but now, they "let fly" and make it into "headphone cafe" instead. Just walk in, sit down and enjoy. More easy going. And then more SACDs than before. Wooh!

Well, I'm not really good at using jargons with music interpretation but here's my impression of the trio. Namely the R10, 010, and the 3K. Many would perhaps disagree with my impressions but anyway...

Rig used:

Sony XA3000ES

Luxman P1

My Music Selection: Dave Brubeck Qaurtet - Time Out Album(SACD)

Sony 010:

Sharp, but sometimes I kinda felt it was MUDDY in some areas of the music. (okay, flames coming)

Pretty bright at times.

Bass was mellow.

Detailed resolution but at the expense of over bright. For me maybe.

Soundstage was mediocre. Okay feeling.

No Hiss.

Light.

R10:

Here's where the love starts.

Rich and warm definitely.

Colored sound.

Good interpretation of bass.

Very detailed resolution.

Good accuracy.

Decay was darn good.

More sensitive than the 010 cos I picked up quiet a noticible hiss.

Heavy.

Makes my ears warm.

3K:

Warm but not as much as the R10.

Kinda like the resonance.

Very colored sound.

Good interpretation of bass.

Detailed resolution was pretty good for me.

Heavy.

Makes my ears warm.

Conclusion:

I personally feel that the 3K is the best catch among the three considering how affordable it is and it's similarities to the R10. I don't really like sony sounds cos they tend to be overly bright for me, especially when i tried the qualia earphone/headphone. I really don't know the hype behind the qualias. Perhaps the high quality? But then, it's just that. For my jazz and acoustics, it's 3K for me.

A mere $500 for a $3K sound. Bang!

Perhaps someone who has tried the above cans can correct me about my impressions and use of vocab? I'm willing to learn from the more experienced anytime.

Best Rgds,

idkfa

post-2-1108663311.jpg

Nice mini-review, Idkfa...

u lucky fellow.........grrr.......... whistling.gif

So in your opinion, does the 010 justify its decidedly exhorbitant price tag? Or is it just over-hyped?

From your opinions i would think it would be a rather big yes.....haha......

the 010 in my opinion is just hype for it's craftsmanship. I would rather get a RS-1 instead. But then for those who can afford, it's perhaps not that expensive? Ard SGD$4100?? haha

post-2-1108665368.jpg

Edited by idkfa

I think it's alot about partnership/synergy as well. If you read most of the thread of the O10's owner , they use really high componenents upstream to match the qualia.

How much is the R10 idkfa?

How much is the R10 idkfa?

The R10 are not only sale anymore. At least production purposes. Retail price for it was SGD$5750+- if I am not wrong.

But if anyone's interested, I know a friend who has one and he did mentioned before he's willing to sell it to me cheaper if I am interested. I simply told him, BAKA. haha... But then, who wants to buy such ex phones now? With this money you can prob get a better setup than just the can itself, unless the myth about the R10 cult still exists... But the packaging that came with it was really neat though... happy.gif

I think it's alot about partnership/synergy as well. If you read most of the thread of the O10's owner , they use really high componenents upstream to match the qualia.

Precisely. It's those things that justify the pricing for the qualias. But if you took a listen. You wouldn't be buying it. Not me. I always remember this, I am listening to my headphones, not watching it. holiday.gif