Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Newbie to SLRs, how much does a good lens cost?

Someone in classifieds selling a Digital SLR for $499, I'm considering getting it but no experience with SLR cameras before. How much would I need to spend on a decent lens for such a camera?

thanks!

It depends on what you want to shoot. The Fuji S1 Pro uses Nikon F-mount so you'll need to look at lense supporting it.

Note that the camera is a converted film body. That means there are 3 different batteries used. One set for mechanical functions (moving the shutter, metering, moving the aperture blades and mirror etc), one set for digital functions (image sensor, processor, CF card etc.) and one more lithium cell for keeping the time and date.

It's also a 3MP camera that extrapolates to 6MP.

For lenses, you cannot use Auto-focus unless the lens has it built in. ie. Nikkor AF lenses, D-type Nikkor AF lenses other than AF-S & AF-I.

the S1 is a good camera smile.gif and Nikon F-mounts should hav no problem finding a lens

a good buy @ $499 for a camera that used to cost more then the D70

3MP will still produce good pictures, most likly better then other 3MP pocket digicams on the market, with the F-mount, this can be a stepping stone for future upgrade...like D70...D2h...D2X w00t.giflol.gif since they all use the same lens mount

for the lens, a 50mm F-1.8 Nikkor is less then $200, another good starter lens is the 18-70mm D70 kit lens, this should be below $400 in SLS

we may hav a new member for the D70 club soon...rite heady? tongue.gif

'good' lens.. depending.. can be anything from 3k up to 10k plus..

but decent ones like the 50mm can be had for 170 new, the kit lens for d70 is pretty good for starter(<400 in 2nd hand market) and the range is useful too. Alternatively you can consider 3rd party offerings as they are usually much cheaper yet offer quality that give the 'branded' one a run for their money

Shhh.... tropical, that's EXACTLY what my friend said to me when he egged me to put the ad. We married people have to get permission to spend big bucks like that you know. lol.gif Anyway, one step at a time. So first step first. I paid $1300 for the Fuji S1Pro two years ago and really didn't make that much use of it, so I must really think very hard to splurge on a DSLR again. Any of you D70 people want to upgrade to D2?? I'm using an Olympus 5060 most of the time now, easier to carry.

OT abit: not for the next 2-3 years I foresee.. the d70 would be here to stay with me for a long long time to come wub.gif

Same here...at least not till i finish paying off the camera. My next big purchase would most likely be better lenses. (either a nice 10-20/10.5fisheye/or 18-200/70-200vr) The D70 is more camera than i need for the foreseable future. Sum nice 2nd hand lenses can be found for the S1 if yer really keen. One warning though, dslr's require alot of knowledge to produce really great pics. Do some research because its a very steep learning curve and more investment (lens(es)/flash(es)/batteries/cards/cleaning kits/bags/tripods/etc). Not trying to scare you but just things to consider.

Ditto. I don't forsee myself upgrading the D70 for a while & I do expect myself to get more lenses too.

I would say it is a good offer! Don't look at the 3 Mp res, at it will give better result than even 4 Mp compact digicam which priced about the same these days. The high ISO is really something that compact cannot compete with DSLR.

Ask yourself, how you will use the DSLR. If it is for occasional foto shooting, I would say S1 with this price is a steal wink.gif

Hi Heady, upgrading to D70 or waiting for D50? Nikon will come with something to compete the 350D wink.gif Just a hint tongue.gif So better wait a while happy.gif

According to the rumors on the forums, the D50 will be will be a scaled down version of the D70, so im not really sure how it can compete with the 350D. The next major body release thats also rumored (and confirmed by a Nikon top spokesman) is the the D100 successor, (D200?) Both will be released latest by this May if the rumors are true.

Hi Bram, the reason is that I am very under-utilising the S1. I end up using my Olympus and Canon more because they are pocketable. Also no time for shooting pics. AND when I looked at the pics you guys post, I am shamed, cannot call myself a photog any more. no.gif

I am not sure I want to spend on a DSLR at the moment but eventually I hope to. That's why I am keeping my new Tamron lens in the hope that it will happen. biggrin.gif So, I can wait...

heady, you selling the S1 Pro without the lenses. Do you have any intention of selling them? If so, what are they?

Hi N@Z, just edited my classified posting to include the Soligor lens I am also off-loading. I bought a Tamron lens last year which is better but I am keeping it with the hope it will be put to use again... if you get my drift.

The Soligor is ok but I find the colour contrast not as snappy but it could be my inexperience as I used it when I first got the digicam but used the Tamron when my experience with digicam was better. WB setting is a skill and I used to use AUTO which is big mistake. Also, it may be my imagination as I paid twice as much for the Tamron vs the Soligor. biggrin.gif

My lens collection are manual, not AF and I don't have many, a Nikon 50mm f1.8, a Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, a Tamron 35-80mm (superb) and a Sigma 70-210mm zoom (ugh).

So you intend to keep your Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro wink.gif