Sign in to follow this  
Transworld

Best compatible HPs for Panasonic Discman

Hi Guys,

Is there any Panasonic discman users out there knows which brand HP sounds best with it? My present Panasonic discman started failing and so does my Audiotechnica HP. I'm planning to get a new set. That time i tried Sennheiser HPs on the Panasonic, the HPs seems to be hard to drive. Thanks.

I'm currently using a Pannie Sl-CT790 via line-out thru a PA2V2 or Porta Corda II portable amp and driving Sony EX70SL, Koss KSC35/75 and Sony MDR V6 while on the move. This particular Pannie pcdp has a slightly laid back nature and as such, suits most cans and taste. Even a pair of Grado SR80 (leans to the bright side) sounds pleasing to the ears, IMHO.

Views may differ if the abovementioned cans/ear buds/ear clips are not amped and connected to the pcdp's headphone-out socket.

Thanks Mackie, so you are saying that it is very hard to get a better compatible sounding hp without the hp amp? With hp amp, many hps will be eligible.

I don't think the sound signature of a PCDP makes a sufficiently substantial difference to justify choosing a specfic "compatible" headphone just to pair with it. Get any headphones that suit your taste and that can be driven with ease by your PCDP, an amp is not absolutely essential but would be helpful. You might want to look at more portable cans, which are usually more easily driven and sound decent out of the headphones out.

Thanks guys for the feedback. Probably will bring the PCDP to Hung Bros shop for a audition then proceed to Adelphi for SR60 shoot out. headphone.gif

The thing about pana discmans is that the remote is a piss poor design, you cannot plug Grados to the remote because of a piece of plastic jutting out next to the stereo jack. So you either forgo the remote, or use a portable amp. sleep.gif

An adaptor should help? I recall some iRiver mp3 players having that problem and they supplied an adaptor with it.

The thing about pana discmans is that the remote is a piss poor design, you cannot plug Grados to the remote because of a piece of plastic jutting out next to the stereo jack.  So you either forgo the remote, or use a portable amp.  sleep.gif

Btw, i had bought the CT810. Any kind souls out there willing to let me audition their Grados? tongue.gif

Edited by Transworld

The thing about pana discmans is that the remote is a piss poor design, you cannot plug Grados to the remote because of a piece of plastic jutting out next to the stereo jack. So you either forgo the remote, or use a portable amp. sleep.gif

I have exactly the same problem and I am so tempted to just file that stupid ledge off but haven't as I use a headphone amp all the time. Anyone have done that before and the remote still work ok? mellow.gif

The thing about pana discmans is that the remote is a piss poor design, you cannot plug Grados to the remote because of a piece of plastic jutting out next to the stereo jack.  So you either forgo the remote, or use a portable amp.  sleep.gif

Btw, i had bought the CT810. Any kind souls out there willing to let me audition their Grados? tongue.gif

To audition Grados headphones, you can go to Music By Design. For best results, bring along your portable player.

Here's their web link.

http://www.musicbydesign.com.sg/

To audition Grados headphones, you can go to Music By Design. For best results, bring along your portable player.

Here's their web link.

http://www.musicbydesign.com.sg/

Thanks Ron, I had paid a visit to the Music by Design just now. Here's my review.

Went in, ask for SR60 for audition. Wow, did not expect it was driven very well by the PCDP. The details & the amount of bass depth it produces. After a few tracks, asked for the SR80. Hmmm....the details seems to be smoother & bass are much better in control. Compared with SR60, SR60s highs just a slight harsher but the sponge is very comfortable compared with SR80. I ask that guy for opinion on SR125, he says due to the details limitations of my PCDP i won't be easily differentiate the details with SR80 and the stereo socket is bigger type so can't fit in plus he don't have the adapter plug. In the end, i bought the SR80. Now running in with the track from XLO.

Yup, i had encountered this problem too. But i just use the pen knife slice off a small slope from the stereo plug and that solved the problem. Now the plug fits very well into the remote.

that's cruel tongue.gif

After plugging in the stereo plug, you can't see the slopping part cos' already kanna block by the remote protruding tip. Well concealled. kicking.gif