Sign in to follow this  
Allladin

Headphone

Hi i m a noob looking for a new headphone. Heard from my fren regarding the prowess of headphones. i typically listen to rock. Any recommendations? my budget is from 80 to 200 biggrin.gif

Or perhaps u would like to start off with the SR-60s if u dont wanna spend that much first...

Do a search, u'll find plenty of helpful comments on the Grados!

Another option if you need it to be closed, foldable & very durable, Sony MDR-V6 (7506). Last info I recall here is that they're available at Mustafa Center for $156.

Perhaps you can specify whether you will use it at home or on the go. If it's the latter, leakage from Grados might be undesirable. You might also want to state the other components of your setup so that we can give you more informed suggestions. Last but not least, you can audition Grados at Music by Design, Adelphi. Hope that helps.

If you are using the headphones on the go, please take note of what Absolute0 said. ie they leak sound pretty bad (after all they are an open headphone) and the person sitting right next to you will be able to hear your music, especially rock! Because it is open, it also allows sound to come in and because of that, you will need to turn the volume up. For rock, the SR80 is a better choice over the SR60.

Others you might want to consider is the Koss PortaPro. Good for rock.

For portable purposes, I would actually recommend canalphones such as the Shure E2/3/5, or Etys ER-6/6i/4 as the isolation they provide can be very helpful, esp. in a noisy environment. That would do yourself and others a service - I guess not everyone wants to hear your music, rock in particular, and neither do you want your enjoyment to be affected by noise from the surroundings. Nevertheless, the Grados are excellent rock cans and pretty portable, so you'll have to decide if the lack of isolation is crucial.

A discman should be fine. Similarly for most other portable cans, a headamp is not necessary, but would be helpful. Cans with higher impedance would more likely need an amp to better exploit their potential.

If you are using the headphones on the go, please take note of what Absolute0 said. ie they leak sound pretty bad (after all they are an open headphone) and the person sitting right next to you will be able to hear your music, especially rock! Because it is open, it also allows sound to come in and because of that, you will need to turn the volume up. For rock, the SR80 is a better choice over the SR60.

I second that. The Grados really a high sound leaker. Now i have a hard time jargaring not to disturb others while i still enjoy the music in the mrt.

If MRT and good quality and no amp so concerned, I'll highly recommend the Shure E2c. You gateway to good sound and portability. biggrin.gif