Sign in to follow this  
kank_39

Laptop as source

I'm thinking of "upgrading" the sound of my laptop without dismantling it. I did some reading up and found that there're certain Cardbus soundcards which are recommended like Echo Indigo. On the other hand, would it be more advisable to just get a headphone amp and plug it straight from the laptop?

BTW i use my laptop more for music than gaming or movie viewing.

Anyone has any experience? Recommendations for products is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. smile.gif

Edited by kank_39

As far as I know Echo Indigo is not sold in Singapore, you might want to look at external USB soundcards instead.

Plugging headamp into your laptop will not make it sound better...you'll only be amplifying the flaws, so it is not advisable.

As far as I know Echo Indigo is not sold in Singapore, you might want to look at external USB soundcards instead.

Plugging headamp into your laptop will not make it sound better...you'll only be amplifying the flaws, so it is not advisable.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do just that. Maybe I'll just get the Audigy 2 ZS Notebook to plug it into the PCIMA. smile.gif

hi kank,

My friend has bought an echo indigo from the singapore dealer several months before. Here's the address:

865 Mountbatten Road #05-16 Katong Shopping Center S(437844) Tel: 63465347

or perhaps you might want to wait a short while for singapore dealers to receive stock of the e-mu 1616m. apparently it has the same sound as the e-mu 1212m - just external this time!

I am comfort with the Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, although i haven't used laptop for listening quite often~

Ok. I've gave careful thought into my laptop sound and i think i'll settle for either of the following seup:

Setup 1: Laptop USB -> USB soundcard (DAC) -> mini hifi -> Headphone amp -> MS1

Setup 2: Laptop USB -> USB soundcard (DAC) -> MS1

Is anyone using this sort of setup? For setup1, will the long route from the source to the final product (headphones) degredate the sound?

For setup 1, i'm planning to get either a M-audio transit or sonica. I've heard that the sonica and transit aren't really good amps for headphones so that's why i'm putting them through another headphone amp via my mini-hifi, through which i can enjoy the music through the speakers.

For setup 2, i think i'll most probably get a M-audio audiophile USB, through which my MS1 will be plugged directly. It will also be connected to my hifi from the analog out.

Opinions anyone? smile.gif

why put a mini hifi inbetween the usb soundcard and the headphone amp? cant the headamp just connect directly from the usb soundcard?

why put a mini hifi inbetween the usb soundcard and the headphone amp? cant the headamp just connect directly from the usb soundcard?

Yeah, i could do that too but i would like the option of listening my music from my hifi too.

I'm now contemplating seriously on the m-audio audiophile USB. That way, i'll just connect my cans to it which could also be connected to my hifi.