Sign in to follow this  
renesis

alessandro's in singapore? and other questions

Hi all, my uncle will be going to singapore sometime this yr, and i'm thinking of asking him to get me either a pair of MS1's if they are available there (hopefully less than AUD150 otherwise i might as well get them in oz), or the grado sr60. i was thinking of getting the AT a500s or D66 eggos. so would anyone know the price of MS1 there?

i might as well ask for recommendations as well. do u guys think the models i listed above r a good idea. ive got a pair of pana hje50s already for portable use, so these will mainly be used at home. i listen to all sorts of music, but my favourites r female vocals and pianos, so do u think the MS1s or others r good?

and last but not least, sorry for the many questions, is how much are zen micros locally? i was thinking of getting a harddrive player as well. something in the SGD300 range anyone can recommend?

thanks guys, sorry for the hundreds of questions biggrin.gif

Afaik, only the Grado's are available in Singapore, not the Alessandro's. The former can be purchased at Music By Design in Adelphi, for S$120. Those cans that you listed are pretty decent, but for home cans, you might want to consider something higher end to save you from upgrading later. For female vocals and pianos, I would recommend the Senn 580/6X0 series which I am currently using. Beyers might be good too.

As for HDD DAPs, there's the Zen Micro and iPod Mini, both in the ~$350 range. Both are excellent but I personally prefer the Zen Micro.

So only grados are the only ones available? I'm a student so i can't really afford to go high end....yet. But that will be in the future. I just need something now that will keep me satisfied. I tried out my friend beyer's (not sure which model, cost him something like AUD200) but to me it lacked the punch that i wanted, could have been the song i was listening to or i have grown accustommed to the panasonics as they r reported to have a very forward sound presentation. So u reocmmend the Senny's, are there any available in the SGD150 range, i'm not sure on the models but they seem to have mixed reviews.

Thanks Absolute0 for the zen micro recommendation, my thinking was that rather then spending $500 on a 20gb mp3 player, i might as well split it up and get a micro HDD player and a decent pair of headphones.

Thanks a lot guys, but more opinions are defintely welcome!

FYI Renesis, the Alessandro's cant be bought at stores. They only can be ordered online here

Beyer's on a whole arent really forward and wont have that "punch" u look for. They're more neutral and refined.

Grados are naturally more suited for rock, but you cant really go wrong with a Grado SR-60, which is great value at S$120, couple that with a good HDD based player ( I second the Zen Micro, at ard S$380 - 400 ), i think you have a nice combination.

hope this helps!

Beyer's on a whole arent really forward and wont have that "punch" u look for. They're more neutral and refined.

This is one reason I recommended the Beyers since he mentioned his favourites are female vocals and pianos. I'm not sure if Grado are the best cans for these genres, but they are certainly excellent rock cans which pack lots of punch.

Thanks wil for the advice. So it seems like the Grado's are the best pick? For some reason in Australia we can't get the them, but we can get the Alessandros. From what I have read on the web, generally on Head-Fi, the Senny's are a more all round type of headphones.

So I am guessing that the Grados fall into the 'active' sound category, and AT, Senn and Beyer to fall into the general allrounder category? I don't listen to much rock actually, probably just Coldplay, but since I like female vocals a lot, would u recommend the all-rounders over the Grados? Unfortunately I won't be able to audition them for myself.

It will probably be difficult for you guys to recommend me some headphones, but I will be spending around SGD100-150, so apart from the AT-A500, what headphones from the Senn and Beyer range do you guys recommend?

So it seems like the zen micro it is.

Not to confuse you renesis but I would recommedn iRiver for your DAP. I bought a Zen Micro, sold it soon after. Touch Pad is VERY irritating. I rather you get a second hand Creative Zen or Nomad. IMHO.

idkfa you mean the iriver H10? That is overpriced in Australia at around AUD450, how much is it in Singapore, assuming you are from Singapore or anyone else? I was thinking of getting a minidisc at one stage like the 2nd gen or even 1st gen NH1, but they don't seem to offer any real benefits over the established HDD players.

So any recommendations for either Sennheisers or Beyer's in the under SGD150 price?

True, but budget wise the creative is a cheaper option, although i do agree that u need to get used to the touchpad.

Beyers or Senns will suit your taste in music , but many of their models require a decent Amp.

Sorry but i think i misread ur post about u wanting more "punch" in your music.

I've never heard the ATH-500s before, but the SR-60 despite being described as primarily used for rock will still be a step up for you no matter what genre you listen to from your hje50s. Do you intend to listen straight from your DAP? Cos if u do, the Grados will run effortlessly from your DAP. And they fit your budget nicely too. happy.gif

Yea, most likely I will be listening it staight out of the portable, or on my computer through the Audigy 2 ZS. So wil you think that whichever genre I listen to I will enjoy the Grados? So do you have any specific models in mind as information about Senns and Beyers seem to be slim. The Grados at SGD120, seem to be really well priced, as the MS1 I was looking at before would cost something like SGD180.

Well, the MS1 is essentially a reworked model of the Grado SR-125 ( i think. Correct me if im wrong ) Alessandro Headphones are generally are considered to be more neutral and abit less forward sounding than Grados although they share almost the same drivers.

Im not saying that you will enjoy the Grados, but im trying to imply that they'll surely be a step up from your panasonics, and sonically, the difference will be very, very clear. But illl have a feeling you will like them Grados..heh.

Sorry for my lack of info. For iRiver products, go for everything EXCEPT the H10 series. It's their biggest mistake ever. I have had a couple of iRivers, iFp-350, H140, H340 and I find that the H140,H340 are the best ever. If you can, go grab yourself a H120/140. It's discontinued now and ppl are going mad over then in Ebay. Luckily I have one for meself! biggrin.gif

If you don't mind cosmetic defects, I have an older one on sale in misticriver. Do PM me if you are interested.

The real game for DAPs start with iRivers. party.gif

This is one reason I recommended the Beyers since he mentioned his favourites are female vocals and pianos. I'm not sure if Grado are the best cans for these genres, but they are certainly excellent rock cans which pack lots of punch.

The best piano I heard was on MS2s. Sounds like you are sitting on the bench playing it yourself. That was on Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variation.

For that price the Grado SR60 will meet yr needs perfectly. They are easy to drive and yes they are good in vocal too. U can have an audition in MDB. U can also try the SR80 at $170 which has more bass then SR60.. Before u come try to call them about the stock status just in case...I guess yr next upgrade will be a decent headphone amp... yes.gif

Sorry for my lack of info. For iRiver products, go for everything EXCEPT the H10 series.

Have you personally own and used the H10?