Sign in to follow this  
Huma Dragonbane

A grado addict!

I just bought the grado sr-60 for my upcoming ipod. TOTALLY LOVE IT! On it's own I already love the design, but the sound coming from 'em? Totally blew me away. Now I'm seriously considering another pair of grados for home usage. Since I just bought the sr-60 and I'll be getting my ipod in the next few weeks I'll be pretty broke so I was considering the sr-125 instead. I've read more detail could be heard from this phones and they're within my budget too. I've tried the rs-1 and although it is better than my sr60 I don't feel as if it justifies me paying $1200 for it. ( In terms of performance increase ) Also I feel it's a waste of money if I just bought another sr60 to be used at home so I wanna go for the next step up. What do you guys think? For me most importantly is detail. I'm not really crazy about bass which is why I chose the sr60 over the sr80. Hope to know your opinions plus reviews of the sr125. Thanks! party.gif

PS: How much is the sr225?

Edited by Huma Dragonbane

$350 for the Grado SR225.

i just bought the SR80 recently, wanted to get the 125 but in case you dun know, the 125 comes only in 1/4" plug so it wouldn't fit into any portables i have and adding another adapter to convert it into 3.5mm makes the 125 even less portable and managable. So, i settled for the sr80 for my portables and i'm planning for the 325i for my home use. i'll be visiting Stereo again to check if they can give me a discount on the 325i since i've already bought the sr80 from them.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.... the 125 is much better in the bass compared to the sr80, tighter and more control especially when i crank the volume up, vocal is clear and transparent even at low volume.

You might want to take a look at this thread.

I have heard many say that the SR-225's is the "sweet" spot in the Grado range, so if budget permits, I think that's the way to go.

Huma,

For the price of an SR60 and SR125 you should have got the SR-225 with the Grado mini to 1/4 inch adapter. That way you could have listened to it using your portable and still have the quality for hime use. BTW there's a SR225 on sale in the classifieds. I dont know if it's still avail - you might wanna PM lengcm to check.

Maybe you can call up Music by Design if they have any second hand sr60 since people might upgrade to higher range models. headphone.gif

I tried the whole range, up to the 325i. (the RS-1 was out of my budget, so i ddnt bother.) in a nutshell, i very much prefer the 225 over the 125s. It was significantly more detailed and sounded better overall. Well worth the extra money. The jump from the 80 to 125s was to me not as apparent as the 125--->225 jump.

suggestion: dont bother with the 125, go for the 225/325i and get yourself a good source while at it.