Sign in to follow this  
nakedtoes

STAX SR-80 Pro headphones w/ SRM-Xs driver

I believe it's the 2020 & 4040 setup. What about the 3030 system?

I replied your question in a separate PM. Do check you mail.

I believe it's the 2020 & 4040 setup. What about the 3030 system?

I replied your question in a separate PM. Do check you mail.

Thanks bro.. i got yr PM... i did just got the STAX.. my first STAX.. initial impression it did sound not like dynamic headphone totally diferent.. Tons and tons of detail. Definatly a level above ER4S.. but i will still keep the ER4S when i need the sound isolation...

I did hear a higher resolution from my own test CD and source with the STAX.

I also find that the STAX is quite hard to drive, volume at 3 oclock the sound start to clip.. can i use my Headsave Classic to drive the Stax?? I believe the result would be awesome.. w00t.gif

Edited by nakedtoes

Now to the comfort level.. actually the headphone is something like grado but a smaller rectangular shape. There is actually someone who audit the STAX yesterday and find that it is too cramp for him.. Lucky i got a normal head.. The leather pad sit nicely on my ear and are much comfortable for me then Grado's BOWL... .. Now listening to some techno and drum music in my quiet room i can actually feel the bass.. detail was everywhere... instrument seperation is better.. there is a larger soundstage compare to Alessandro MS2i ..

Wow Nakedtoes, you lucky thing you..Im comtemplating the 404 with SRM-313 amp. Its around 1900 i reckon.

Is the Stax as fast as your MS2i? My guess is transparency is greater than the Grados/Alessandros.

Congrats on your new toy.

ah... let me guess - you saw the ad too on echoloft too eh? happy.gif

i think i might have been the first to contact the seller, but i passed eventually as i needed the $$$ for something else... (a tube tester, in case you're wondering ) cool.gif

Wow Nakedtoes, you lucky thing you..Im comtemplating the 404 with SRM-313 amp. Its around 1900 i reckon.

Is the Stax as fast as your MS2i? My guess is transparency is greater than the Grados/Alessandros.

Congrats on your new toy.

Thanks!! The Stax are definatly faster.. very airy compare to MS2i.. The bass can also go much lower however there isnt much impact as MS2i.. They are pretty hard to drive even with the headsave classic as a pre amp, the Stax goes clipping for certain bass heavy track at 4 oclock.. at 1 oclock is pretty loud already..Comparing the with MS2i.. the MS2i sound harsh..while the STAX is very clean and able to produce every single instruments accurately.. however when comparing with the STAX 0404 earspeaker setup at $2.6k, the latter produce a more dynamic warm sound, the details are much louder too. wub.gif

Adhoc>> yup... lucky me.. i miss the better STAX deal from echoloft previously and was lucky to get this set. Finally my wish to try STAX was granted.. My next target would be a good tube amp to pair my MS2i..

waiting for someone's review on the little dot 2.. w00t.gif

Edited by nakedtoes

Saw that ad too, and contacted the seller as well to enquire about the model. I was too busy to check out reviews for the model (seems to be pretty old?), and a little apprehensive about it not being true electrostat according to the seller, so decided to pass. Besides already spent too much on gear! Appears that they have found a good home though, congrats on the purchase, I'm sure many are drooling over the prospects of owning STAX cans. laugh.gif

Nakedtoes<<< You got bass on a stax? That is a little unbelievable. Can you describe it more? I never actually heard good bass on staxs except a clean lean thud which is the signatures of electrostatics.

I'm not sure what absolute0 means by not a true electrostatics. Am really curious to know about it more. And have fun with them staxes.

Edited by idkfa

To quote the seller, "These are not the true electostatic phones but a more 'budget' electret type".

I'm not sure what that means either, and was too busy to check out, which was part of the reason I passed on the deal.

well, just look at the headset and you can find out. If there's a wire mesh kinda material, it can be nothing more than just electrostatic phones. happy.gif

They are electrostatic ear speaker too except that the small diferent in the thickness of the diaphragms used.

Some STAX history here

http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/History.html

This set actually start production in the year 1990 The seller really takes care of this precious ear speaker as seem from the ear pad and the wordings condition (he still have the original box and manual around), and after i audit the setup with my source i got "HOOKED" to the STAX sound biggrin.gif .. Thats why i went to KINGSLEY the next day to audit the higher end models too.. They are pretty friendly guys..Purpously set up a new set for me to audit.. i believe they are some of the best in service in that building. I also enquire about the SR-80pro earspeaker and they said it can be driven by the SRM-006t too ($2k) hammer.gif .. Perhaps next time i would bring the SR8-0Pro down to kingsley to hear the diferent..

IDKFA>> yup i got pretty good bass and bass detail which go pretty low for some CD tracks.. perhaps due to the different recording qualities.

Edited by nakedtoes

Argh....I am contemplating whether to save up and get the Omega two set or just stay happy and get the much cheaper 4040 set......My hair's dropping and my saliva's drooling...I am going mad mad mad!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t.gifno.gifw00t.gifno.gifyucky.gifyucky.gif

Argh....I am contemplating whether to save up and get the Omega two set or just stay happy and get the much cheaper 4040 set......My hair's dropping and my saliva's drooling...I am going mad mad mad!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t.gifno.gifw00t.gifno.gifyucky.gifyucky.gif

But your profile already has the Omega 2?? unsure.gif

Maybe he is having Omega 2.......picture in his profile. tongue.gif