Blues

Tweaks questions!

Mackie, I am trying your cdp tweak as I'm typing this.

Since you did not tell me what's the improvement of the coin tweak..

Maybe I shall report my finding and see if it matches yours happy.gif

I find that there is more separation.. at first glance this is not very audible.. but after I left to brush my teeth and returned to listen to the 2nd track, I could hear the difference

there is more space between the instruments, giving a wider, bigger atmosphere

Right now listening to shania twain 'you've got a way with me' , her voice seems alittle more forward than usual.. strange.. very intimate..

certainly more detail.. I can hear her breath more clearly now.Brian Mcknight's smacking his lips.. ehehhe... 'back at one' track.This is similar to your cone tweak.. hm..

Next, the music seems more musical/coherent to me.. everything has bigger space but they blend together with each other nicely, not detached.Shania twain's voice goes very low and extended with extreme smoothness.

WOAHH!!! I love it !!!

I am gonna insert more cds .. hey but isn't this a bit too late.. lol I have school tomorrow.

I am going to tape the coins tomorrow..

Oh yes, mackie is there anymore tweaks that can be done? without too much cost? hehee..

also.. can I put alot of coins? (scatter 20 coins ontop of the cdp.. hehe.. will the sound be 4x times better compared directly to 5 coins lol.giflol.gif ??)

What's the theory behind this coin tweak? is it the same as the cone tweak? to direct the vibration/energy away?

I feel this tweak is good especially for those whose system is lacking in midrange(recessed mid), as it brings up the mid a little and makes the sound a little more forward.

and mind you.. all listening is only done through the koss ksc-35 (hell yeah.. crappy phone. I know.. but I have no choice. my main can hasn't arrived yet tongue.gif )

And if I can already tell such the difference.. I think a bigger surprise is waiting with the beyer dt880

hehehehehe.... cool.gif

Forgot to mention, gear used:

+marantz cd6000OSE cdp , Corda HA-1 amp , Klotz GY107 La Grange(last day with me.. firefox wants em back happy.gif) , then last and least koss ksc-35 +

-= The koss is connect to 0 ohm jack. No crossfeed used =-

*Cd used is the Love diary (purple colour cover with a pink heart design happy.gif (2000 Universal Music Asia-Pacific Ltd)*

Edited by Guyferd

possible man..

it can be psychological.. same as the burning in.

But I can feel the difference. WHen I first placed them, I couldn't hear the difference, when I came back, I could detect them.

Fox, wanna come down to my house tomorrow to collect your cable and also help me test out this tweak?

heh heheheheheh biggrin.gif

eh anyway , how come you can go out one huh? I thought only on weekends laugh.gif

My block leave dude.. Can be done for the tweak. Evening, ya? Not the morning coz I need to go out and get stuffz....

Firefox,

Hey congrats, POP liao right? Glad the hantus in Tekong didn't get ya... any stories to share?

Hope you get a good unit...

Guyferd,

The reason why Mackie refuse to tell you the results is to prevent psyching yourself into believing the effects described. The best state of mind to be in when comparing something is to have an OPEN MIND stereo.gif

hmm...what's the principal behind this tweak?

still trying to figure out....

audiophile tweaks are so amazing!!

unlike PC tweaks.

haha

hmm...what's the principal behind this tweak?

still trying to figure out....

audiophile tweaks are so amazing!!

unlike PC tweaks.

haha

Possibly damping of vibrations.. But the coin(s) is/are so light, I'm not sure if it'd help.

First reaction is to be skeptical but I am open to it if it costs next to nothing. Quite frankly, I'd be very surprised myself if I can hear a difference.

Elso Kwak has a nice crystal replacement circuit. He sells the parts and PCB. Alternatively, you can ask him for the schematics and DIY it. smile.gif

Jayel

Edited by jarthel

mackie.. where art thou??

paging for mackie...

Ok, I'm letting the cat out of my bag.

Fishball is right why I've refused to tell what the sonic benefits are as I wish to avert psychoacoustics from clouding Guy's opinions. Moreover, the so called sonic improvements are rather subjective...one man's meat is another man's poison.

Firefox was wise to strike out vibration damping as the coins are too light for such a purpose.

The theory behind is once again.....RESONANCE. As yet, different coins from different countries are made from different mix of metals and hence, carry various sonic signatures but apparently, S'pore 1-cent and 5-cent coins are more balanced sonically and thus chosen. The various compound of these coins react when faced with external energy and resonate in different frequencies under a more controlled environment to produce desirable effects.

1-cent coins tend to sound "dead" and useful to acquire a quieter background, better control and neutrality...sort of placing an art piece on a cleaner and whiter sheet of paper for better clarity of the picture. However, overuse of 1-cent coin tweaks can result in a very dead and lifeless sound.

5-cent coins are more "lively" and these are useful in achieving a more analytical/detailed sound ...sort of increasing the dimensions of the music to better 3D effects. However, too much details tend to result in a forward and bright sound, triggering negative reactions.

Just like Chinese believe in yin and yang, a mixture of 1-cent and 5-cent coins will balance their effects and bring out the best of their properties.

Guyferd got most of the areas right as the areas of improvement are easily detectable owing to having a quieter background or lower noise floor to being with. Better imaging with my wooden cones are similary achieved by these coins as they are based on the same principal of resonance. One area he has omitted is the bass. Although not exactly obvious, one should be able to hear tighter and deeper basslines. Guy, I reckon this will be apparent to U once your DT880 arrives. yeah.gif

If anyone wishes to probe further, try the following (do not use thick double side tape as this reduces interaction between surface of gear and coin) :

1. If your cans are too bright, stick one 1-cent coin on each side of the cans' cups. Replace these with 5-cent coins if you wish your cans to sound more exhuberant. U can also try a combo of one 1-cent and 5-cent coins on each cup if your cans are neither bright or laid back.

2. Stick a 5-cent coin on the power plug of your headamp and cdp. If it sounds bright to U, replace them with 1-cent coins.

Take note that all tweaks must be applied progressively. Hence, I suggest starting from the power cords to cdp/headamp chassis and finally to cans. This way U can decide where/when to stop or refine the tweaking process to your satisfaction.

Experiment and let me know of your feedback chappies. happy.gif

hm.. all right I am gonna try to listen more..

but tweaking sometimes is just too time consuming and at times you cannot really hear the difference.

I think you need someone to tweak it for you while you sit down and listen to the cans tongue.gif

heihihih

Guy, if a tweak is not audible, skip it. As it is, I think U need not pursue further in this coin tweak until your 880 arrives. Remember to enjoy your cds more than trying to pick up the differences. Since U like the current config, it's time to tape the coins to your cdp for them to function properly.

upon further listening, I find that the improvement is rather subtle. There is a little increase in quietness.. but it isn't like a very big jump and the improvement is almost inaudible.

still.. I think it's rather worth mentioning.

And yes.. talking about the more forward vocal.. I guess it's contributed by the klotz.. not the tweak hehehhe tongue.gif .. lol