Sign in to follow this  
Yon

Ferrite clamps

I suggest not to use ferrite clamps on interconnects and headphone cables as they tend to stifle dynamics and thus resulting in a dull sound. Treble extension also suffers. However, these detriment may be less noticeable and even beneficial when used on power cords. Let your ears decide.

yea, agree with Mac, they are good for power cord. If you are naughty enuff, just open your amp to clamp it at the transformer wires. It helps a lot in reducing noise.

I have a question.....

Since ferrite clamps only have direct effect on RF and EM interference in the cable, how does the orginal signal get altered during this process? I always thought its either you get an improvement from the clamps or get nothing (if there is minimum interference in the cable or system), didn't know clamps could technical cause a change in the orginal music source.

ho ho ho...U are questioning an area where the knowlege is gonna technically challenging and intensive. I recall a member by the nickname of fishball79 wrote a price on this. Otherwise, google search "cable skin effects" or "cable dielectrics" and U will learn much on how the material and method of "housing" a cable conductor can have effect on sound.

TDK is the brand...same as the one for cassette tapes. U can buy these at Koba Electronics, 3rd floor People's Park Shopping Center opposite Chinatown Point.

Btw, I don't recommend ferrite clamps on audio signal path.....more beneficial with power cords.

Edited by Mackie

I remembered seeing a thread on Head-Fi regarding clamps on headphone cables. Some guys said that they got less hiss from Shure E5c and also "better" sounding ER-4s. I did try them out but nothing significant. Maybe even nothing.

Just try it yourself and "see" how it sounds then. happy.gif

As far as my experience goes, ferrite clamp murders dynamics if introduced onto interconnects or path where analogue/digital audio signal travels. However, some users would sacrifice it for a cleaner sound if interference is indeed an issue. Oh well, there's no harm in trying. After all, ferrite clamps are cheap.

Out of curiosity I did try some TDK ferrite clamps. They do reduce dynamics. Subtle but noticeable. I did not try them on power cords cos the ones I have are too small for my power cords. They dont do wonders for me but some people have found benefits in using them just after the IEC connectors in an amp or CDP. As for me the idea of instaling clamps in amps or cdp is a worry as it will require some soldering skills to desolder the wires connected to the IEC connector and instaling the clamp and resoldering. I rather play with caps and op-amps.