Northern Oak

Opinions Required : New iPod

hi,

My colleague is considering getting the new iPod but is hesistant as he had read some bad reviews at the apple site, for instance, when there's a track change, an audible click/pop is heard.

Any there any other good/bad things about them?

Thanks in advance.

Old iPod

Cons - bigger, no line out

Pro - tactile feel of mechanical scroll wheel, proven

New iPod

Cons - buggy software, less battery life, more expensive.

Pros - Smaller size, line out from dock.

Depending whether you like it or not the new scroll wheel according to Mat (Mac expert) is similar like the Powerbook touchpad. If you place something over it like a piece of paper you can still move the cursor! So it is useful if the whole iPod is encased in a see through case for example, no need to take it out inorder to access the controls.

Anything else to add Mat?

My knowledge is limited to the 1st Generation iPod (5Gb). I think you'll get a broader prespective doing a search in Head-Fi. Under Portables Forum! In the mean time I'll try to fish for some write ups on non musical issues, you can use it as a PDA (contacts list) and as a external Hard Drive too!

get the new ipod... its really cool...

btw I've never experienced problems such as sudden lock up or clicking noise...

the ony bad thing is tat the ipod scrtached very easily despite the careful measures I've put in handling this baby wink.gif

Mat:

thanks for the additional info. Will inform my friend about it.

har28:

nay, wouldn't be getting ipod. I'm strictly CD fanatic!

In the early days of my iPod I used to use cling wrap to protect the chrome back.

Now I just couldn't be bothered. Just shove it to the iSkin and off I go!

IMHO they are RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED.

for the price of the 15gb one you could get a 20gb zen AND a px200 AND about, have $80 left to watch movie 10 times.

or 40 plates of chicken rice?

or 80 snickers bars?

you get the idea.

lol.gif

IMHO they are RIDICULOUSLY OVERPRICED.

for the price of the 15gb one you could get a 20gb zen AND a px200 AND about, have $80 left to watch movie 10 times.

or 40 plates of chicken rice?

or 80 snickers bars?

you get the idea.

lol.gif

yea and you can eat ** tubs of hagen daaz ice cream for your beyers. you have to pay high end money for high end stuff. to each of his own i guess.

ps: ** (identity withheld to protect the interest of involved parties)

hrmm true. but then again i dont see the ipod having such a significant advantage over the zen as the dt880s over, say, a px200. and if i'm not wrong the zen has a very very very high s/n ratio (98dB). IIRC the ipod has no such specs to boast about. furthermore the zen is based on tried and tested technology (2.5" hdds) vs the ipod's newer 1.8" hdds. if your zen's hdd spoils outside warranty, it's a easy matter to replace the hdd. not so for the ipod. there are also many sites out there that provide tutorials to replace the default 20gb zen drive with something BIGGER, say 100gb. like that you can store what, 6666 lame encoded high quality mp3s that have an average size of 15 mb. compare that to the difficult to source and expensive 1.8" drives that the ipod uses. and 30gb max @ $950+? hah.

about the only thing all that money goes to is paying for the ipod's small and funky design. that part of the ipod, i like. biggrin.gif

In the world of Gadgets price is secondary, cool functionality rules. You're looking at one handphone slut here! Personally I would get the iPod for that very same reason but not immediately as I want them to sort out the bugs first. I prefer the mechanical scroll wheel but I can see the usefullness of the touch wheel should you have it covered up in its protective casing. It is very expensive though & that is the major obstacle for most people. The others may & is probably better but the iPod is unique.

jasonhanjk said if you don't like it dont buy it. Truer words has never been said.

The iPods are multi functional too, it can be used as external HDD for example!

There is provisions for addressbook (Contacts) also and sync with your other handheld like your phone/PDA's. And not to forget as your calender reminder too! headphone.gif

I think price is justified somewhat rolleyes.gif