Sign in to follow this  
Kippei

Any future upgrades to new forum scripts?

I dun mind...

I recommend phpbb thought...

There are invision to phpbb database convertor...

I suggest testing it on a dummy b4 going on live

I used phpBB and the Invision Board, both for several month on a private page and the invision board is better in most respects. But (a rather big but) phpBB is open-source! I like that...

Other choices are Simple Machines Forum e.g., it's even better than the other two choices. Updates are done with mouse clicks within the control panel, almost similair to windows update. You always get news through the admin panel, so you always know if something is going on. Installation and administration is very easy smile.gif

You might also have a look at useBB, it's a newer forum software, also open-source and looks very promising but seems to be more smaller communities... Next time I want to upgrade a forum I might give that one a try.

To sum it up, if you want to upgrade, give Simple Machines Forum a chance or use phpBB2 (better the plus version if you don't want to deal extensions and plugins since many useful ones are included in that distribution).

Now it depends on what you really need. If you want simple administration and a software that has everything onboard, take SMF. If you really need more options and plugins take phpBB. You should be aware that most quality skins are available for free for phpBB and the community is alive and very big.

I don't know if you can upgrade the invision board to the newest version but that would also be a good choice, I always liked this software and it's very good looking right out of the box, SMF isn't, at least in my eyes...

honestly, if somebody would be willing to take over care of the forum, I'll gladly pass on the ownership. working life's a whole lot to juggle hence the minimal posts from me these days and thats why this forum hasn't changed much in the past months. If somebody familiar with forum scripts wants to take over, I'd be happy to assist porting the forum database over to you. but if its left to me, this forum will stay this way for a while... besides, I don't agree that the script's buggy. Its only one error in a long time so far isn't it? and most of the time its the webhost acting up, and even then, they've been much better than they've been in the beginning.

I'm doing what I can here already guys. Please accept my apologies. sleep.gif

Nah I couldnt be the CEO. I only can be the runner of the CEO...

anyway i just need a backup SQL for testing for conversion for now

Yeah, the forum has been in great shape for a very long time. U know the sayin, if it aint broke, dun fix it??

It may applies to some issues but not everything.

Computers , softwares are obsoletive in nature. When its time to upgrade, its time to upgrade.

Nowadays you cant really much survive on a Win95/Win98 platform with a pentium 1

One thing to remember which ablaze has quite rightly pointed out is the ability for someone to spend alot of time on the site. It's not just setting it up, it requires running and maintaining it fairly regularly. We have been quite lucky so far.

What Q00 meant I believe is that the forum is running ok on average, unless there is a major problem or a major overhaul is required to address as specific inadequacy then change for the sake of change seems unecessary at this point in time.

Ahem! I'm still on PIII & WIN2K!

party.gif I understand what he meant, but IPB 1.3 have been discontinued since gods knows when. You nv know when is there gonna be a loophole, I am more on security issues.

I think better to let sleeping dogs lie... biggrin.gif After all, the problem is not often, perhaps once a year. The only problem I get frequently is the DNS not resolving the url. Don't know if it is the host problem or my computer.

besides, I don't agree that the script's buggy. Its only one error in a long time so far isn't it? and most of the time its the webhost acting up, and even then, they've been much better than they've been in the beginning.

I'm doing what I can here already guys. Please accept my apologies. sleep.gif

There's no need to apologise lah, 'blaze. This forum wouldn't be existent if not for you. As far as I'm concerned (given my limited experience with forum scripts, etc.), the forum is running pretty fine, the interface is satisfactory, and it has most of the functions that I need, so I ain't complaining. wink.gif