Sign in to follow this  
lypk

Equipment to burn-in audio equipment faster..

I don't how much of it is true. Nevertheless, if an already burnt-in audio equipment has been unused for a long time eg a month, it will usually need to be burned in again but require lesser time to reach optimal performance.

My worry is an accelerated burn-in process may result in accelerated loss of optimal performance? Just a guess and baseless assumption as I have not tried the stipulated product.

Edited by Mackie

DarkAngel on Head-fi has been plugging a cable "cooker", which essentially speeds up the burn-in process, and it seems to work wonders. I am not sure how much truth there is to such equipment, but they might be worth a try.

Rameish, any idea what's the theory behind cable cookers? I've heard claims that cables "cooked" for a week better cables which have been burned in for an excess of 500 hours.

High current from cable cooker. That's why some recommended running in power cords through electric kettle, boiler etc because of high current passing thru the cable.

Others who prefer a consistent but lengthy process of burning in power cords choose to plug their cords to their PC and leave it on 24/7. I suppose very few would leave their audio equipment on 24/7 just to burn in a power cord?

Edited by Mackie

Perhaps you can try plugging it into a preamp with music playing at higher volumes. At least higher current passes through compared to normal line level resulting in a shorter burn in period.

Pre-amp is essentially a line buffer stage to power amp and hence, not ideal nor theorectically correct in the way evil-zen mentioned above. sorry. Plug the power cord to a high-powered Class A power amp and it would be feasible because Class A amps always run at full current deliverable irregardless there's signal or otherwise, thus the high heat generated.

Edited by Mackie

Rameish, any idea what's the theory behind cable cookers? I've heard claims that cables "cooked" for a week better cables which have been burned in for an excess of 500 hours.

I think Mackie might have answered your question. I have no idea how it actually works or what it does to the wire. But there's a noticable difference. Sorry.

ahhh but i was mentioning about interconnects

If it's interconnects, it doesn't matter whether it's between a cdp and pre-amp/head amp/integrated amp as the current/voltage passing thru the cable is dependant on the output signal of cdp (fixed line output) and not affected by increase or decrease in volume. In the scenario of the interconnects between pre-amp and power amp, the current passing thru the interconnects is significantly weaker than the aforementioned scenario, unless the volume pot of pre-amp is turned to full and even then, it's at par at the very most.

Edited by Mackie

Actually that is what I did. I run it from the preamp output to another female RCA and turned the volume up. I found that the preamp output is higher than the normal line level. Maybe it is due to the very high gain of my amp. headphone.gif

Guest Ruach

I am using it and the effects are audible.

"As far as new components are concerned, the effect is anything but subtle. It seems the SE disc is especially effective at removing glare and grain in cables." -- Johnatan Scull, Stereophile, June 1994.